Cylinder Head replacement?
01-24-2019, (Subject: Cylinder Head replacement? ) 
Cylinder Head replacement?
Just wanna hear some opinions, Long story short I have a CM871 with a spun rod bearing and Im going to go ahead and rebuild the engine instead of patching the one hole. The engine only has about 375,000 miles roughly and I was wondering If my head would be okay to reuse if infact it is in good shape? I've read people saying to replace it after 450k miles if the head is coming off but im a bit shy of that. Thanks for the help!
replyreply
RE: Cylinder Head replacement?
I would install a new OEM head... Been through the two in frames in two year bit, it ain't worth it. Just make sure you machine/cut the block and shim the liners and set the protrusions. You skip doing this, and YOU will be in framing it again in short order. And use lots of Permatex Ultra Slick on the bearings prior to reassembly. Also, very important, pre-lube the motor before starting. Good luck. ;-)
replyreply
(01-24-2019 )Jprps Wrote:  Just wanna hear some opinions, Long story short I have a CM871 with a spun rod bearing and Im going to go ahead and rebuild the engine instead of patching the one hole. The engine only has about 375,000 miles roughly and I was wondering If my head would be okay to reuse if infact it is in good shape? I've read people saying to replace it after 450k miles if the head is coming off but im a bit shy of that. Thanks for the help!

How many engine hours? - Only 375k and spinning a bearing does not add up at all.

Engines do not typically spin a rod bearing unless it has a lot of wear on it. If that is the case, you think the head has any less wear in it?. Inspect the bearings in the head, copper showing means it is just as worn down.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-24-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 )Jprps Wrote:  Just wanna hear some opinions, Long story short I have a CM871 with a spun rod bearing and Im going to go ahead and rebuild the engine instead of patching the one hole. The engine only has about 375,000 miles roughly and I was wondering If my head would be okay to reuse if infact it is in good shape? I've read people saying to replace it after 450k miles if the head is coming off but im a bit shy of that. Thanks for the help!

How many engine hours? - Only 375k and spinning a bearing does not add up at all.

Engines do not typically spin a rod bearing unless it has a lot of wear on it. If that is the case, you think the head has any less wear in it?. Inspect the bearings in the head, copper showing means it is just as worn down.

I can't remember the engine hours off hand. The truck has been sitting for a while since I got into other work. We suspect it was a lack of oil pressure that did it in. Anyway whats done is done but I will have it torn apart here right away to check out the condition of everything else besides the bottom end. Already ripped that apart and one of the rod bearings was gone and all blued to hell. Thanks for the advice though!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.