Sliding trailer axles made easy
05-08-2016, (Subject: Sliding trailer axles made easy ) 
Sliding trailer axles made easy
Most everyone has had to slide trailer axles and once in a while the lever lifts easily but most of the time one or more of the pins is locked against it's hole. I saw a good method from some company's training video a couple of years ago if the pins are jammed and it works most of the time.

1. First thing is to dump the air in the trailer bags and set trailer brakes. It's much easier to slide when there is no air in the bags.
2. Move the trailer so the pins are jammed against the FRONT of the holes.
3. Dump the air bags on the truck and depending how fast they dump will determine how fast you have to get back to the trailer release lever. If you're quick enough putting pressure on the lever as the dropping tractor air bags pull the trailer forward the lever will lift easily when the pressure on the pins is released. If you're not quick enough the pins will be jammed at the rear of the holes so now just reinflate the tractor bags and keep pressure on the trailer lever. This has worked for me probably 80% of the time.
4. To determine how far to slide I use a tape measure to measure the distance I want to move the axles. I then put the tape measure on the ground beside the step and using a point on the step I can move exactly the distance I want. Now all that's left is go back to determine if I want to slide forward or back the 1/2 hole to lock the pins in. And of course check all the pins got reset. A little snake piss on the pins doesn't hurt either.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
05-08-2016, (Subject: Sliding trailer axles made easy ) 
RE: Sliding trailer axles made easy
One thing I do, is find level ground. I don't know how many guys I see at truck stops trying to slide their tandems after getting off the scale with the trailer. The trailer is all twisted up due to the undulating pavement underneath them. Move to level ground, if available.

I watched a driver from Swift going thorough this... Played with that thing for twenty minutes, driver after driver helping, beating on the pins with hammers... I could not take it anymore and got dressed, out of the cab and told the guy to move the truck over by me. I popped that thing first try, without the help of a hammer. The guy was amazed, and I went back to bed! ;-)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.