Old Pete A/C
01-25-2019, (Subject: Old Pete A/C ) 
Old Pete A/C
A/C is probably the last thing on everyone's mind right now but I have down time and am going through my truck fixing all the little things

I bought the truck 5 years ago ('89 Pete 379, Cummins 444xt/NTC 855). It was missing the A/C compressor belt when I bought it and the pulley didn't turn by hand. Today I pulled the clutch off and all the ball bearings fell out. The clutch coil looks shot too

I could get a new clutch for around $100 but the compressor is designed for R12, as is the rest of the system

So I'm trying to figure out the options for switching over to R134a. I did it on my pick-up years ago by changing orings and the expansions valve. It was relatively cheap

Anyone know what it would take to change to R134a with all my old stuff?
replyreply
01-26-2019, (Subject: Old Pete A/C ) 
RE: Old Pete A/C
With 5+ years of no use, my advice would be to replace the it all - compressor, evaps, and condenser. You can flush and flush, but you'll never get all of the crud out, and will be eating compressors as the crap moves through the system. I have tried too many times to do it on older vehicles that sat after losing a compressor or other component, and have never had a good outcome when trying to do it on the cheap. The only time conversions seem to work out is if it's a functioning system that just lost a single component recently. The only way I would even consider it is if yours still is holding at least half a charge.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
Lookup Trucker AC on the internet, prices are far cheaper for a lot of that stuff you'll need, like more then 50 percent on some items. I got raped at the dealer when I refreshed my AC system a few months ago.
replyreply
https://truckerac.com... These are the guys, they are in Atlanta and very hard to beat on price. Ship asme day, via UPS.
replyreply
Thanks for the input guys. Glad I didn't just buy a new clutch
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.