Cummins Low Flow Cooling
01-28-2019, (Subject: Cummins Low Flow Cooling ) 
Cummins Low Flow Cooling
I'm tripping through my truck fixing all the little things right now

1989 Pete 379, Cummins NT855 444xt

Right now I'm rebuilding the oil cooler and that led to working on the cooling system in general. Most of the hoses look pretty beat so I'm replacing them

The upper hose is 1" and the lower is 1-1/4", so it's a 'low flow' system. I have heard that there were some problems with those and that a conversion was possible to high flow

I haven't seen a good explanation of why the change was needed (or the service bulletins from Cummins on how to do it). My truck has worked fine for the past 5 year but it would be nice to know why the change was engineered and how it was done
replyreply
01-30-2019, (Subject: Cummins Low Flow Cooling ) 
RE: Cummins Low Flow Cooling
There aren't too many 444's around anymore.
I drove one back in the day, but I was too inexperienced at the time to remember much about this...
And I was the second driver on the unit.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
02-04-2019, (Subject: Cummins Low Flow Cooling ) 
RE: Cummins Low Flow Cooling
You can convert them from what I have read. It requires several different parts to convert including a different radiator. The main issue I have read is just they overheat. If your not having an issue with overheating then I wouldn’t worry about it. Keep in good thermostats and keep radiator clean. The parts to convert is normally pulled from a big cam 3 or lower. They was all high flow. The big cam 4 and up I think was all low flow. Haven’t read a whole lot on 444. I’m sure someone around with first hand experience will chime in soon.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.