leaking fuel actuator?
01-31-2019, (Subject: leaking fuel actuator? ) 
leaking fuel actuator?
'08 CM871 with original never touched actuators, metering valves and fuel pump, 1.5 million miles. Haven't even ever taken them off to do the 'bubble' test.

I'm up in the deep freeze in Canada. I have winter diesel in my tanks, but not knowing how much my next load will weigh I'm only sitting with 1/4 tanks. My truck spent all day Monday inside a shop; Tuesday my truck ran for about 5-10 minutes then stalled out. I guess my tanks got too much condensation in them and my Davco filter turned to ice. Wednesday (yesterday), after changing the filter, adding possibly too much fuel conditioner, tarping the hood, and putting lots of heat underneath, I was able to get it started. It's 30 below here. I let it run for about an hour and all seemed good.

Now noon today I started it, still 20 below here, and there was a fuel leak coming from underneath the left actuator. I didn't closely examine it while running to see if the leak was from somewhere else and running down and dripping from the actuator. I quickly shut the truck off and removed the actuator. I see nothing physically wrong with it and hate the thought of parting with a few hundred dollars only to find something else was leaking.

I decided to put it back on as is, and now the truck doesn't want to build fuel pressure and start. My wife noticed fuel dripping from behind the engine when I was cranking it over. I have to go back out and look for where this leak is from while she cranks it over, but I'm inside warming up right now.

Enough of all this yapping; question is can freezing up a system do damage to an actuator? The gasket looked fine.
replyreply
RE: leaking fuel actuator?
Got engine running, don't know what the wife was seeing, actuator itself is most definitely leaking.
replyreply
Good luck man, but I would say it is actuator time with that many miles on them. Good to know they will last that long. And you know, if it is going to break, it will be -30 out... How bad is it leaking? Real bad or just a drip? I'm trying to remember what all is there... Gasket, spring, plunger... Where is it leaking from exactly? Could it just be a bad gasket? Or is it coming out the actuator itself?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
It was dripping pretty good, like a drop or two a second, right from the body of it, not the gasket. It looks like there is a pinhole meant for this, kind of like when a water pump dies. This is the timing actuator, not the metering one, there was just a gasket, no spring. Waterloo, you're right about probably time with this mileage, so I didn't bother opening it. I just took it in for core and slapped a new one on. Running good now and hoping it was bad for a while and my fuel mileage goes up now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.