EGR tune map sensor
05-09-2016, (Subject: EGR tune map sensor ) 
EGR tune map sensor
When doing the egr tune if you are just going to clean map sensor first what happens if it is covered in soot and you pull it out? Won't the excess soot that remains in intake go into the engine? Isn't that bad?
replyreply
RE: EGR tune map sensor
You ought to see the soot that is already in there. If it were me, I would REPLACE the map sensor, as there is not really anything there to save if it has been in there for a awhile. I would also yank that EGR plumbing off of the side of the motor and give it a good cleaning with carb cleaner. Remember, these motors create 6 pounds of soot between oil changes. If you have not had a look inside your motor yet, I believe you will be shocked.
replyreply
Thanks i plan on removing all the plumbing it is just time consuming and thought just a imap cleaning would be a good thing to do first as that is what I saw rawze do in video. Well i should say he refered to doing that in the video prior to do the full clean. I have 943262 on truck it had 630xxx when i got it and i have never had it apart and do not know if it has ever been cleaned. Did not even know you could until i stumble onto the video on utube. Have already priced all the sensor and i am going to do full clean but will be a few weeks before I have the time to do it. I am not having any problems just wanted to be proactive.
replyreply
If you are going to do the full tuneup in a few weeks, and not having issues, I would leave that sensor alone for now. Mine snapped right off when I removed it. I had to drive it out with a small screwdriver. As far as cleaning it, yes, after it has been replaced. You can easily pull it periodically and brush it off with say a tooth brush. No solvents though, just dry brush.
replyreply
Thanks just really curious to see what is actually in there also do you know the air flow direction thru tbe pile labeled hot does it go towards the egr valve? Or does it come out of valve and turn to intake? I think it would go toward the valve but unsure.
replyreply
What are driving? How many miles and which motor? I would pull the Doser too and inspect that. If it is sooted up and toasty looking, you will need to replace that too. Rawze has a video on that one too, it was easy to get to on the CM871 that I own. If you have not looked into it yet, and you have the Cummins, it is best to get yourself an Inline 5 Reader from eBay. This you will need, along with a laptop running at minimum Windows 7. You really need to see what is going on in there in regards to the health of your motor.

Also, if you have not done a proper overhead adjustment/inspection you need to do that too. There is a video on that too, or seeing as you are in GA, MR Haggi is just outside Atlanta and is a very trusted and competent mechanic that can take care of your needs. He is a member here, might be good to get in contact with him.
replyreply
(05-09-2016 )Trkdrv in ga Wrote:  Thanks just really curious to see what is actually in there also do you know the air flow direction thru tbe pile labeled hot does it go towards the egr valve? Or does it come out of valve and turn to intake? I think it would go toward the valve but unsure.

Brain fart! Hang on... LOL! The flow runs from the EGR Valve forward to the CAC then around to the Turbo... I haven't thought about this stuff since I eliminated the mandate!

One thing you can do, is go here https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Register your motor if you have not done so and this will give you access to your motor matching your EIN and CPL. You really need to utilize this site to best understand your motor. It has parts breakdowns and service instructions so that you can do this work yourself if need be.
replyreply
Thanks
replyreply
Thanks peterbilt 387 cm 871 9th 3262 miles
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.