Cpl 2733 vs 2732
02-05-2019, (Subject: Cpl 2733 vs 2732 ) 
RE: Cpl 2733 vs 2732
(02-04-2019 )bazdan902 Wrote:  ...
Specifically I went from:
AV10144 CPL 3320 to
AV10069 CPL 2732.. This is in a 389 Peterbilt.

Is there settings that should be copied over from the original engine cal?

program differences show...

* very different DPF types/flow, and settings. A de-manded truck this would not mater.

but...

* VERY different size injectors with very different settings. <- according to your post, you are using the wrong program and are not using the correct injector programming at all. the 2 don;t even have the same offset angles,.. nothing. <- I see all kinds of efficiency losses every time I have seen someone do this.

* the AV10144 assumes the large injectors seen in the 550+ engine specs. The AV10069 assumes the smaller chambered mid-tier spec injectors.

* injection timing is thrown out of whack due it assuming a different chamber size for the injectors.

* the programs are meant for 2 different size cams, 2 different types of pistons, 2 different types of valve cams, etc. <- de-mandated or not, it is not right to use one program for the other at all. Whoever told you to do this or did this needs their head examined and if they disagree, they are welcome to come over here and I will sit down with them line for line in the program and show them the error they are overlooking. It is significant.

The list of incompatibilities is quite long for this kind of mis-match. I would suggest you get the correct program for that engine and truck set into that thing so that you aren't wasting thousands in fuel every year,.. or worse,.. cause it to burn a hole in a piston or something else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-05-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-04-2019 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  Hey Rawze, I really appreciate that side by side pic. Another question for you. Would the engine serial numbers factor into the injectors matching? I gave the mechanic the serial number of a 2732 I’m considering and he said the injectors were the same for the 2733. The pic you sent says otherwise. Now I’m concerned. Who are the guys I should contact on these forums for proper programming?

it is NOT just a simple variance of injector part#'s or superseding stuff ... My comments above are based on the fact that I took the 20-minutes + time to --- Looked in the programs for both and THEY ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT IN THEIR PROGRAMMING for everything including injectors, fuel offsets, CAC flow, exhaust flow, power curves, injection offstes, literally the 2 programs ARE DIFFERENT!.

post the ser# of the old engine, and then the new one. That way it can be looked up exactly, but I can tell you this... You can also determine this by looking at the listings in the link i posted about changing HP, and looking at the ecm dataplate*(s) and the AV# on each of them.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1&pid=1#pid1

and tell your mechanic to better inform him/her/self about these newer engines... they are only making themselves look bad and it hurts their customers when they rely on whatever bad ideas and bad habits they have formed for themselves.

Old engine s/n 79355762 - AV10044 - cpl 2733 with delete
New engine s/n 79397766 - AV10070 cpl 2732
replyreply
(02-05-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-04-2019 )bazdan902 Wrote:  ...
Specifically I went from:
AV10144 CPL 3320 to
AV10069 CPL 2732.. This is in a 389 Peterbilt.

Is there settings that should be copied over from the original engine cal?

program differences show...

* very different DPF types/flow, and settings. A de-manded truck this would not mater.

but...

* VERY different size injectors with very different settings. <- according to your post, you are using the wrong program and are not using the correct injector programming at all. the 2 don;t even have the same offset angles,.. nothing. <- I see all kinds of efficiency losses every time I have seen someone do this.

* the AV10144 assumes the large injectors seen in the 550+ engine specs. The AV10069 assumes the smaller chambered mid-tier spec injectors.

* injection timing is thrown out of whack due it assuming a different chamber size for the injectors.

* the programs are meant for 2 different size cams, 2 different types of pistons, 2 different types of valve cams, etc. <- de-mandated or not, it is not right to use one program for the other at all. Whoever told you to do this or did this needs their head examined and if they disagree, they are welcome to come over here and I will sit down with them line for line in the program and show them the error they are overlooking. It is significant.

The list of incompatibilities is quite long for this kind of mis-match. I would suggest you get the correct program for that engine and truck set into that thing so that you aren't wasting thousands in fuel every year,.. or worse,.. cause it to burn a hole in a piston or something else.

maybe I'm outa whack here but I though he got a entire drop in engine for his truck? He just went down in Cpl with all the hard parts to match?:angel:
replyreply
(02-05-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  maybe I'm outa whack here but I though he got a entire drop in engine for his truck? He just went down in Cpl with all the hard parts to match?:angel:

Looking back at his first post .. The new engine has different parts in it/different CPL. His mechanic said he could use the old ecm and it would be the same,.. comparing the old 2733 cal to a 2732,... they are not the same. different hard parts + different programming to match the hard part differences. He can't just slap on his old ecm to the side of his replacement (different CPL) engine. - He needs to use the program made for the replacement engine that matches its hard parts then have (whatever he needs to do) set to the correct program instead of using old ecm and old mis-matched program.

It is not quite as bad a mis-match (tier2 to a different tier-2) as bazdan902's mis-match (tier-3 to tier-2), but still is enough that it will not be quite right. The injectors have different chamber sizes, as well as other things mentioned above. Still, even the tier2 to tier-2 changes are enough that over time, it means losses in efficiency, etc. That can lead to thousands a year in wasted fuel (sometimes 1+mpg) and other costs unnecessarily.

The 2732CPL engine and its hard parts are about as fuel efficient as you can get. I know this because that is the CPL that I have. Would be a shame to see that gain go to waste. The 2732 is also a left-over converted CM870 block upgraded to 871 at factory on assy line if memory serves me right, and the 2733 is not.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
You answered too different guys kinda similar questions, bazdan902 got a crate motor that went down in hp an changed cpl he was asking if an of the setting for switches, sensors an any OEM stuff should have been copied over too the new ecm, because you talk about some motors/settings being OEM specific.
replyreply
02-06-2019, (Subject: Cpl 2733 vs 2732 ) 
(02-05-2019 )ynot Wrote:  You answered too different guys kinda similar questions, bazdan902 got a crate motor that went down in hp an changed cpl he was asking if an of the setting for switches, sensors an any OEM stuff should have been copied over too the new ecm, because you talk about some motors/settings being OEM specific.

The engine hard parts may or may not be, but the CPL is sometimes OEM specific, yes.

As far as the switches, cruise, etc. for the truck (not the engine),.. it is simply a matter of setting those things in the features and parameters with insite, but setting those things does not make the rest of the program, like injector or other programming compatible. One example of this is the air flow settings for a particular type of CAC. There is no way in hell I can use the programs meant for a big square nose truck in my prostar with its puny little excuse for a CAC unit that sits on top of the radiator, same goes for the other way around. This is even true if I do have the same exact engine hardware in my engine as one in a square nose KW for example.

There are some general trends though...

the 2732's seem to all be used in the trucks with small CAC units and the 2733's are used in trucks with the full size, (but not extra-large) CAC's in them. Then there is totally another CPL for the big nose pete and kw's (with extra-large CAC), even though many times the engine hardware matches, and/or the HP settings may be the same. - I would say clearly that many CPL's are truck specific. Some will even list the carrier they were made for too on occasion in insite, but you can't rely completely on this.

replyreply
Thanks for responses, ya to clear things up. I am using the correct calibration for the engine as this was a drop in motor.. As ynot mentioned I was curious about the CAC/exhaust settings mostly that you say is OEM specific... The switches and sensors are fine as I had made ECM templates and had calterm back ups from the original engine. Everything works in that regard.

2 seperate motors, each with their correct calibration. Big CPL to small CPL in a big old dinosaur of a truck
replyreply
I appreciate the help guys. For what it’s worth, that cpl 2733 is in a Prostar with 455hp
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.