ISX OIL COOLERS
05-09-2016, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
ISX OIL COOLERS
Crazy question here.

Have any of you guys stacked 2 ISX oil coolers together? If so, how did it go with fabricating it and what kind of results did you get? Was it worth it?

Before the forum was rebooted I think Topace did it or somebody else did it. I don't remember there being any feed back on it. I remember him discussing shimming the oil pump and it started several others trying it and having positive results.

I'm interested in oil coolers too, if anybody can share their thoughts if this would be good or bad to stack 2 together it would be appreciated.

I like the idea also of oil prelubers and looking forward to seeing Rawze's set up when he posts the video of that.

Trying to think of a few good ways to improve the entire oil system. So far:

1. Adding a bypass filter for filtering soot.

2. Shimming the oil pump.

3. Electric PreLube oil pump before start up.

Thanks
replyreply
05-09-2016, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
RE: ISX oil coolers
I was thinking about eliminating the oil thermostats in the oil cooler. I've heard the argument for having them in there to heat the oil enough to eliminate condensation but I recall the first round of emission engines in 02' required the oil temp to be high enough to "emulsify" the carbon generated by the egr system into the engine oil. All the pre-emission engines I ran never got over 190 oil temp unless you really pushed them. So if your engine isn't producing the carbon it was designed to produce for one reason or the other I don't see any reason to run a thermostat to heat your oil. Just my opinion.
replyreply
05-10-2016, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
RE: ISX oil coolers
schISM that's interesting. Since the ISX can be improved with the ECM tuning and some hardware changes and updates, the idea of running a later model ISX without that oil thermostat in hotter regions of the country might be a good idea.

I'm running a cm870 and thinking since I've had the tuning done and the engine was originally, never an emissions motor with DEF,DOC,DPF; I may go ahead and try the oil thermostat removed and see where it goes from there.

I think the location on my oil thermostat is going to be a pain in the ass to get out. There is a bracket in front of the area where I would need access to back that cover off. We'll see what happens.
replyreply
05-10-2016, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS
(05-10-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  schISM that's interesting. Since the ISX can be improved with the ECM tuning and some hardware changes and updates, the idea of running a later model ISX without that oil thermostat in hotter regions of the country might be a good idea.

I'm running a cm870 and thinking since I've had the tuning done and the engine was originally, never an emissions motor with DEF,DOC,DPF; I may go ahead and try the oil thermostat removed and see where it goes from there.

I think the location on my oil thermostat is going to be a pain in the ass to get out. There is a bracket in front of the area where I would need access to back that cover off. We'll see what happens.
From what I understand you have to take the oil cooler off so it's a chore for sure but if ya need a water pump or coolant manifold plate gasket replaced also then it wouldn't be that bad.
replyreply
01-28-2017, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
What's the latest on this?
Got a fair few of these engines in our trucks here in west Australia and I've been thinking about removing the thermostat. Probably not gonna do it till more research though..
replyreply
Removing the oil thermostat BYPASSES the oil cooler and makes the oil run HOTTER!

ALSO--- the oil SHOULD be above 215 degrees -- It helps keep moisture and oxidation levels down. As long as the oil temp is less than 40 degrees F above the water temp, everything is operating as it should. If you want to raise hydraulic pressure rating of the oil,.. don't do it by attempt to change its temperature,.. do it by adding a gallon of gear lube instead.

here is a reference.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...23#pid4523

As well,.. watch my teardown video series. My engine had 1 gallon of gear lube at each oil change put in it all its life.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard
Ah well that pretty much settles that idea! Thanks for the quick reply.
The only reason I thought of this was because one of the drivers is complaining that the alarm will go off unless he watches the oil temp like a hawk. I did a quick trip in it myself last week and even with 1 empty trailer the oil temp gets up to 120 degrees (Celsius) pretty easily and the thermostat has already been replaced.
replyreply
(01-28-2017 )Tanker93 Wrote:  Ah well that pretty much settles that idea! Thanks for the quick reply.
The only reason I thought of this was because one of the drivers is complaining that the alarm will go off unless he watches the oil temp like a hawk. I did a quick trip in it myself last week and even with 1 empty trailer the oil temp gets up to 120 degrees (Celsius) pretty easily and the thermostat has already been replaced.

Meybe replace the oil temp sensor and/or verify its readings. Could be the turbo is getting too hot or the oil cooler efficiency is bad from blockage or buildup of sludge in coolant system.

oil temp should be 215-F normally, and 240-F max.

Too much internal engine load or internal friction can cause it too. Spun bearing, etc. can cause it. I have also seen a lot of bad deletes/programming cause excess internal friction and high oil temps too.

====

It is always better to fix a problem properly than to mask it by other modifications. I call it jumping over a dollar to grab a dime.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
ill find out exactly what's wrong next month. its been pushing coolant for some time so we've decided to build a new engine to go straight in and minimise down time. The old one will go to cummins for warranty which will be a job and a half to get out of them. Compressors been changed (was cracked anyway) so we're sure it'll be a liner..
Deletes over here have been costly for us.. Obviously everybody's certain and assures you they've got the right tune for your cpl and blah blah then unfortunately some of them have gone bad. Majority however have been successful (running fixed turbo too). But finding 1 good, reliable tuner has been hard.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.