New air filter intervals
02-05-2019, (Subject: New air filter intervals ) 
New air filter intervals
I know it depends on if you work a lot in dusty conditions but how often are you guys replacing filters? Anyone go by that vacuum gauge meter thing on the filter housing? What about the new filters, the rectangular block ones. Maybe get Better life out of one of them ??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
RE: New air filter intervals
Every make/model truck is different. Some trucks have small air filters and some have very large ones.

I also have never trusted that stupid vacuum gauge meter, as by the time it reads anything, you have lost thousands in fuel mileage losses and it is cheaper to change the filter.

I think if someone wanted to maximize their air filter change intervals, they should likely install an actual vacuum gauge in the dash that is sensitive enough to read something. -- just some thoughts.

In my prostar, I change mine in the spring, even if it does not need it. This helps keep the salt from winter out of the intake and engine. I usually change it in the fall as well, or sometimes in mid summer too, depends on the miles on it. - it usually ends up with about 60-80k miles at most on it or roughly therabouts. - I also do not do any offroad, and am mostly interstate so it does not get nearly as dirty as others would.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut , Toolguy
I replace mine every spring. Cost me around 55$ for a new OEM Volvo filter. Money well spent IMO

A lot better than the one O/O telling me a last year that he does not run an airfilter “cuz they’re too godamn expensive and they are not needed” LOL!!!

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut , Toolguy
(02-05-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  ...
A lot better than the one O/O telling me a last year that he does not run an airfilter “cuz they’re too godamn expensive and they are not needed” LOL!!!

I see massive amounts of blo-by in his near future. It dusts out, and polishes the liners-- What an idiot, seen guys destroy engines like that in a hurry. - Kill a $36,000 engine in less than 1/3 its lifespan to save a dime... what good logic.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Toolguy
(02-05-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  ...

I see massive amounts of blo-by in his near future. It dusts out, and polishes the liners-- What an idiot, seen guys destroy engines like that in a hurry. - Kill a $36,000 engine in less than 1/3 its lifespan to save a dime... what good logic.
I did forget to add that when I asked why that should be and he said because he needed the extra “airflow” LOL. I myself cannot even believe the things I have seen and heard. At least it makes for cheap entertainment!

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
02-06-2019, (Subject: New air filter intervals ) 
Twice a year. Usually spring and before winter hits. Companies I've worked for though have had Donaldson filter rebate programs in place and significantly reduces the price of air filters. I can do both filters In my Pete after tax in Canada for $109. For comparison that's like the price of one almost before tax at my local Peterbilt shop.
replyreply
02-06-2019, (Subject: New air filter intervals ) 
Like most here, at least twice a year, normally more like three times a year. Cheap insurance.
replyreply
07-11-2019, (Subject: New air filter intervals ) 
I know this thread is a few months old, but figured I’d add this. Changed my air filter today (found a real good deal on some and bought a few last week), and I was very surprised at the amount of dirt it had collected already. The filter was only about 4 months old and around 35-37k on it. Didn’t look to bad and I figured I’d experiment with a brand new one to see if there’s any noticeable changes with such a short interval. I run mainly interstate, but do have to go onto a farm to pick up my loads. It can get really dusty when it’s dry.

The amount of $hit that came out of the old one was seriously unreal. I hit it facedown on the ground just to see what it was really catching. Pretty impressive. BTW, I put grease behind the filter like Rawze mentioned to see what was getting through. The Donaldson filter does well considering the grease looked just like I left it.

These guys that have neglected filters must seriously be able to feel the weight difference between the new and old ones when they finally do decide to replace them....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , Toolguy
07-12-2019, (Subject: New air filter intervals ) 
I haul grain and travel on a lot of gravel roads.
My last tuck was a WesternStar with the external air cleaners, it would go for a year no problem.
My current truck is a Cascadia, the air intake is built into the hood and sucks in the air right at the base of the windshield. Which is where all the grain dust lands if the wind is blowing the wrong direction while loading. We try to load facing the wind, but some facilities don’t allow that option.
On average I change the air filters on this truck every three months.
The worse case, I put in a new filter on Sunday, first place Monday morning it plugged it right up. I pulled it out to clean all the extra dust off, and put it back in. Next time I went to change it, I saw dust traces after the filter.
So apparently you cannot pull a Cascadia filter without replacing it or it won’t seal properly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.