Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
02-06-2019, (Subject: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? ) 
Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
What’s the best day cab in you guys/gals opinions that a new owner operator should look into? It’s local work so I’ll be home everyday and I’ll be driving maybe 300-320 miles per day! Please share your thoughts !!![/size]
replyreply
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
I would get something with a sleeper. Even a small sleeper, you can still run local with one. The cost is going to be roughly the same, in most cases cheaper over a straight day cab. Do not limit yourself by picking the wrong equipment. I know a few guys that have day cabs, and they miss out on quite a bit of freight due to the local work drying up, unless they enjoy sleeping across the seats, and that gets old real quick, especially in the winter. And trust me, it only takes one guy to underbid the local run by a nickel and it is all gone. Seen it hundreds of times. Here today, gone tomorrow, and normally there is no warning, it is just gone.

As far as the tractor, a small ProStar sleeper with the Cummins. I don't know where you are, but running local will require a tractor that is quick to fix. There is normally an International dealer on every corner for parts.

I run a ProStar with the large sleeper, 244" wheelbase, and I go everywhere the day cabs go hauling auto parts in and around Detroit MI, OH and Indiana... I have yet to have an issue getting into any of the Big 3 suppliers or plants.

If age is not an issue, I would look for something with a non emission motor, small sleeper that has parts that are still readily available. Downtime is what will kill you on a dedicated run, and having to wait days for parts is never a good thing.

And when you find something, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Really check the rear suspension, pin bushings in particular along with the shape of the fifth wheel and it's bushings and locking jaws. They really take a beating, especially on a day cab. Brakes and the transmission too, you really need to pick this truck apart if it has been run local. Normally they are beat to shi#t and then some. Another reason to look for a small sleeper setup. Just my .02 as a local regional guy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , smorgan87
You need to post more info on Your operation.
What trailer are You pulling, what part of the Country and how much $$ is in Your Budget.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I agree with waterloo, small sleeper adds versatility. I have one with back window and I can see end dump trailer while dumping if that's what I'm pulling. Go with lower rear end gear (higher numerically) I love the double lockers they get you moving in soft ground. Peterbilt? probably 20% of price is the name ....seldom worth it. There are 13? states that mandate newer zero emmisions? Figure out what your needs are as it makes a huge difference in price and upkeep.
replyreply
(02-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would get something with a sleeper. Even a small sleeper, you can still run local with one. The cost is going to be roughly the same, in most cases cheaper over a straight day cab. Do not limit yourself by picking the wrong equipment. I know a few guys that have day cabs, and they miss out on quite a bit of freight due to the local work drying up, unless they enjoy sleeping across the seats, and that gets old real quick, especially in the winter. And trust me, it only takes one guy to underbid the local run by a nickel and it is all gone. Seen it hundreds of times. Here today, gone tomorrow, and normally there is no warning, it is just gone.

As far as the tractor, a small ProStar sleeper with the Cummins. I don't know where you are, but running local will require a tractor that is quick to fix. There is normally an International dealer on every corner for parts.

I run a ProStar with the large sleeper, 244" wheelbase, and I go everywhere the day cabs go hauling auto parts in and around Detroit MI, OH and Indiana... I have yet to have an issue getting into any of the Big 3 suppliers or plants.

If age is not an issue, I would look for something with a non emission motor, small sleeper that has parts that are still readily available. Downtime is what will kill you on a dedicated run, and having to wait days for parts is never a good thing.

And when you find something, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Really check the rear suspension, pin bushings in particular along with the shape of the fifth wheel and it's bushings and locking jaws. They really take a beating, especially on a day cab. Brakes and the transmission too, you really need to pick this truck apart if it has been run local. Normally they are beat to shi#t and then some. Another reason to look for a small sleeper setup. Just my .02 as a local regional guy.

Thanks for the insight....in thinking I would like a day cab more...I would be hauling dry freight like cereal , chips etc....I’ll be home everyday so over night anywhere isn’t an issue.....what are your thoughts on a Freightliner Cascadia 125 automatic?
replyreply
(02-06-2019 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  You need to post more info on Your operation.
What trailer are You pulling, what part of the Country and how much $$ is in Your Budget.

I will be hauling dry freight (cereal , chips etc), I’m be in the northeast driving locally (around 300-320 miles per day), and I would say around $25,000 ....
replyreply
I would stay away from an auto, the guys that I personally know, that do drive them locally hate them. Very little control in reverse, especially on ice, tend to slam the docks.

Freightliner, they are what they are. We had them up in ND, always breaking down, model years 2011 to 2015. We had five of them, and only one was ever in service due to issues, mainly electrical and emission related. Fix one and the running one would break... Never failed, went for over a year like this, these were Penske rentals. Ryder had same issues up here in Detroit with their day cabs. The guys I worked with at Ryder are always complaining about the new trucks, they missed their old buckets of bolts that worked when you turned the key. Just my .02
replyreply
(02-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would stay away from an auto, the guys that I personally know, that do drive them locally hate them. Very little control in reverse, especially on ice, tend to slam the docks.

Freightliner, they are what they are. We had them up in ND, always breaking down, model years 2011 to 2015. We had five of them, and only one was ever in service due to issues, mainly electrical and emission related. Fix one and the running one would break... Never failed, went for over a year like this, these were Penske rentals. Ryder had same issues up here in Detroit with their day cabs. The guys I worked with at Ryder are always complaining about the new trucks, they missed their old buckets of bolts that worked when you turned the key. Just my .02

so in your opinion as far a daycab goes, what do you think would work best for my situation as far as day cabs go....i had someone actually advise me to get a 2007 freightliner Colombia....he said it was easy to fix and had minimal major issues that was hard to fix...but of course buying a truck is like having surgery.....always need more than one opinion lol....
replyreply
the newer autos now have a creep mode for reverse but older autos are a bitch in reverse especially with age and wear and at 25k ied be looking for something with a 10sp and if your not running highway speed all the time some shorter rear end gears will help if you spend alot at highway speeds then some taller gears.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.