Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
02-06-2019, (Subject: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? ) 
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
(02-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would get something with a sleeper. Even a small sleeper, you can still run local with one. The cost is going to be roughly the same, in most cases cheaper over a straight day cab. Do not limit yourself by picking the wrong equipment. I know a few guys that have day cabs, and they miss out on quite a bit of freight due to the local work drying up, unless they enjoy sleeping across the seats, and that gets old real quick, especially in the winter. And trust me, it only takes one guy to underbid the local run by a nickel and it is all gone. Seen it hundreds of times. Here today, gone tomorrow, and normally there is no warning, it is just gone.

As far as the tractor, a small ProStar sleeper with the Cummins. I don't know where you are, but running local will require a tractor that is quick to fix. There is normally an International dealer on every corner for parts.

I run a ProStar with the large sleeper, 244" wheelbase, and I go everywhere the day cabs go hauling auto parts in and around Detroit MI, OH and Indiana... I have yet to have an issue getting into any of the Big 3 suppliers or plants.

If age is not an issue, I would look for something with a non emission motor, small sleeper that has parts that are still readily available. Downtime is what will kill you on a dedicated run, and having to wait days for parts is never a good thing.

And when you find something, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Really check the rear suspension, pin bushings in particular along with the shape of the fifth wheel and it's bushings and locking jaws. They really take a beating, especially on a day cab. Brakes and the transmission too, you really need to pick this truck apart if it has been run local. Normally they are beat to shi#t and then some. Another reason to look for a small sleeper setup. Just my .02 as a local regional guy.

Thanks for the insight....in thinking I would like a day cab more...I would be hauling dry freight like cereal , chips etc....I’ll be home everyday so over night anywhere isn’t an issue.....what are your thoughts on a Freightliner Cascadia 125 automatic?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? - Jeo123 - 02-06-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.