Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
02-08-2019, (Subject: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? ) 
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
(02-07-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 )Jeo123 Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  the newer autos now have a creep mode for reverse but older autos are a bitch in reverse especially with age and wear and at 25k ied be looking for something with a 10sp and if your not running highway speed all the time some shorter rear end gears will help if you spend alot at highway speeds then some taller gears.

Thanks for the info!!! So basically it doesn’t matter the truck it matters the engine etc?

Yes, you are buying a drivetrain. You need something that is reliable and when it breaks, and they all do, you need parts. If you have a FleetPride parts store nearby that is a good thing, or other such parts supplier, including a good big truck junk yard. What do the other local outfits drive? Like was asked earlier, is it heavy Freightliner, Mack, Pete, etc. Freightliner and International are the big ones here in the Detroit area. The Petes and KW's are normally pulling buckets or construction related stuff.

The emission trucks don't get to idle up here, you hit the dock they are turned off unless it is brutally cold. Pretty much company policy everywhere I go. That is a big part of the reason the guys with the newer Ryder trucks (Freightliner) in my mind have so many issues, they rarely get a good full regeneration in. It is not uncommon in the winter to have them broke down in the dock. Well, anytime really, it is just worse in the winter. And the fact that many of these new trucks do not have a fuel return to the tanks to keep the fuel warm. Gelling is an issue too, lots of additives required in the winter, and I have no clue if that damages the emissions.

You have a bit to think about, the old days of buying a truck and going to work are long gone.

If you are set on a day cab, call around to Ryder and Penske and see if they have one of those reliable non emission trucks for sale with some decent service history that has not been beat to death.

On edit: Keep in mind that many day cabs have the smaller 12 and 13 liter, or smaller motors. That is not a bad thing in some cases. They are working harder than the 15 liter motors most of us drive. I am sure that has something to do with the issues I see Ryder and Penske having with their fleet trucks.

Ok so let me give you some senarios::::

- hauling dry freight that’s almost never more 25000-30000
- 300-320 miles per day
- very good mechanic available
- mon-Friday work, mostly highway mileage

What day cab would you pick for this type of situation ?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? - Jeo123 - 02-08-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.