Isx question
05-10-2016, (Subject: Isx question ) 
Isx question
Recently retired O/O, now running a 2014 579 Peterbilt for a small local retailer. I have some input on truck service decisions. Truck has been in for a turbo actuator code recently. It's on again. Just found this awesome little den of knowledge and could use some advice. Owner wants the truck to go to the dealer this time because it was just in the shop for the same problem. Now we all know without some guidance they aren't going to fix it this time either. So I told the owner that we need to clean or replace the imap sensor, he good with that. Will dealers usually clean the soot and do an egr tune up or am I just dreaming? I know it is something I could do but the owner has a certain way he does things. I'm sure if I could get the dealer pointed in the right direction and get this thing running better, next time I can do exactly what needs to be done instead of slowly proceeding. Looking for suggestions on how to push the dealer and what to have them do right now.
replyreply
RE: Isx question
(05-10-2016 )heallen Wrote:  Recently retired O/O, now running a 2014 579 Peterbilt for a small local retailer. I have some input on truck service decisions. Truck has been in for a turbo actuator code recently. It's on again. Just found this awesome little den of knowledge and could use some advice. Owner wants the truck to go to the dealer this time because it was just in the shop for the same problem. Now we all know without some guidance they aren't going to fix it this time either. So I told the owner that we need to clean or replace the imap sensor, he good with that. Will dealers usually clean the soot and do an egr tune up or am I just dreaming? I know it is something I could do but the owner has a certain way he does things. I'm sure if I could get the dealer pointed in the right direction and get this thing running better, next time I can do exactly what needs to be done instead of slowly proceeding. Looking for suggestions on how to push the dealer and what to have them do right now.

I tried to get a KW dealer to take just the intake off and clean it up. Was told that they didn't because the tech didn't think it looked too dirty. In one of Rawze's egr tuneup videos, he makes mention that most places won't do it because you can't really clean the soot from inside the head. Might just have to call around, or look for a good repair shop and see what they say.

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
If you can find a tech at the dealer and get him on to your line of thinking, you may get the dealer to do it. I find smaller shops more in tune to this kind of stuff, and it usually entails me standing there supervising, or at least watching. I have talked about EGR tuneups to a few techs, some are immediately on board, but most really aren't that interested, because it is not in the book or they honestly just don't give a shi#t.

Or, carefully pull the map sensor and if it is really sooted up, take it into the owner and let him see the damage being done to his engine. It is said that these engines create 6 POUNDS of soot between oil changes... That soot goes somewhere, and in frames ain't cheap, that I know, getting mine back today... ;-)
replyreply
(05-10-2016 )heallen Wrote:  Recently retired O/O, now running a 2014 579 Peterbilt for a small local retailer. I have some input on truck service decisions. Truck has been in for a turbo actuator code recently. It's on again. Just found this awesome little den of knowledge and could use some advice. Owner wants the truck to go to the dealer this time because it was just in the shop for the same problem. Now we all know without some guidance they aren't going to fix it this time either. So I told the owner that we need to clean or replace the imap sensor, he good with that. Will dealers usually clean the soot and do an egr tune up or am I just dreaming? I know it is something I could do but the owner has a certain way he does things. I'm sure if I could get the dealer pointed in the right direction and get this thing running better, next time I can do exactly what needs to be done instead of slowly proceeding. Looking for suggestions on how to push the dealer and what to have them do right now.

I PM'd you my number.

What is specs on truck,.. How many miles on truck? .. What kind of driving is done? - local? or highway?

Is turbo original?

Has anyone check to see if the "cans" or cross-pipe are clogged up?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The truck has 240000 miles on it. It's usually or but on days it's not out it gets parked inside at night. So it get moved in and out everyday. Before I started working for him, the truck didn't have a driver for 5 months. Pretty sure it's a 550, 18 speed and it's not governed. Coming out of a B model Cat, I feel like it run pretty good. There are times when it doesn't really pulls the hills that good and times when it does OK. The fuel mileage is all over the board but generally wind/heavy load not matter how slow and easy I drive it 5.5 if I'm lucky. Light load and easy driving only gets me 6-6.4 at best.
What should manifold pressure be on a hard pill? It is 30 psi.
Oil gets changed every 10000 miles. Has an apu. I never idle it but I've only put 22000 miles on it personally.
I appreciate all the comments.
replyreply
05-11-2016, (Subject: Isx question ) 
On all CM2250 and CM2350 engines/trucks. If you put fuel into the tanks and do not top off the DEF tank,.. there is a hidden 10% power derate. This will certianly make the truck seem to pull better at times and worse at others.

-- I see no point to why cummins would do such a terrible thing to these engines. It has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with emissions.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Paccardude
(05-11-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  On all CM2250 and CM2350 engines/trucks. If you put fuel into the tanks and do not top off the DEF tank,.. there is a hidden 10% power derate. This will certianly make the truck seem to pull better at times and worse at others.

-- I see no point to why cummins would do such a terrible thing to these engines. It has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with emissions.

Well, that's crappy. I guess I'll start topping off the def. I hope you can fix that when I get to GA.
replyreply
Well, that's crappy. I guess I'll start topping off the def. I hope you can fix that when I get to GA.
[/quote]

There is definitely a fix for it --- Custom tuning.
replyreply
That's good to hear, Cuya.
I will be heading to SC this weekend. And will be at Mr. Hags shop getting things done on Tuesday. I am very anxious to see the results.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.