Smoking after idle
02-08-2019, (Subject: Smoking after idle ) 
Smoking after idle
Hello guys and gals! I have been out of the loop for awhile, took a little “break” from trucking, but now I am back!

Ok: CM2250, 705K, Deman. Smoking when I take off after idling to warm up. Smokes pretty bad for about 5 mins while going through the gears then stops and is completely clean all day. I replaced all the valve guide seals with the new style about 50K ago because of the same issue, but now it’s smoking again. I know my turbo weeps a tiny bit, but I have positive pressure at idle from the intake hole when I remove the imap. I also have no abnormal oil or coolant consumption, basically the same as when it was new. Blowby seems low, (not much coming from the blowby tube or oil fill when cap is removed).
I am running Howe’s in the fuel when it has been cold, could that account for the smoke?? Maybe I should pull the turbo again and see how bad the weep has gotten?? I am at a loss, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
02-08-2019, (Subject: Smoking after idle ) 
RE: Smoking after idle
Who did the demandate? I used to have this problem back on the original MM. I think it may have been from the timing being advanced a little too much. Smoky when it was cold, almost like a haze. Doesn't do it anymore since the more recent configurations.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JMBT
02-09-2019, (Subject: Smoking after idle ) 
I had a Mack dump truck that would smoke after it idled for a little bit. If you left it idling anywhere for 5 mins or so you’d see little bit of smoke. Then when you started driving it it would smoke bad for min or 2 going through gears until you get into higher gears. Company shop finally seen it and had it check. Small crack in front head that would seep oil into chamber when it was idling. It would load that cylinder with oil then when you got going it would burn it off. And be fine as your driving. But let it idle and your in for a smoke show. Lol. Hope that’s not your issue but that’s what I’ve seen happen.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Thanks for the input guys!
BaZdan902: it was tuned by one the the experts of the forum.
Soulreaver0102: man I hope that isn’t it! What were the other symptoms of that truck with the cracked head? Did it consume much oil?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(02-09-2019 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the input guys!
BaZdan902: it was tuned by one the the experts of the forum.
Soulreaver0102: man I hope that isn’t it! What were the other symptoms of that truck with the cracked head? Did it consume much oil?

Very little. It wasnt that bad on oil yet. Just enough to make it smoke pretty good mostly on takeoff whenever it was left long enough at idle it would load enough oil to cause it to start smoking at idle. It would also stumble and sputter a little bit on first acceleration cause of oil in cylinder until it burnt it off then it ran fine. I to hope that’s not it.
replyreply
Me too! Well mine doesn’t stumble at all, and it only “loads up” when I idle to warm up of a morning. After it is warm I could idle for hours with no smoking. I’m at a loss. The valve guide seals I replaced 50K ago fixed the problem until just a few weeks ago. Since the weather has been cold I have been having to run howe’s Anti-gel. I wonder if the additive is causing the smoking?
How would I check for the small head crack issue without pulling the head?? Any ideas?

replyreply
02-10-2019, (Subject: Smoking after idle ) 
I’m just getting my feet wet with working on my own diesel truck. I check the head on my ford ltl 9000 big cam Cummins with the block tester. I had pressure getting into my coolant and thought it might be the head gasket. It wasn’t though. Someone who knows more might chime in. But I would imagine if there is a crack it should be found by the block tester same as head gasket. Local part store advance sells them or loaner tool. I got the loaner. They normally don’t have the fluid needed for diesel but Napa had a box of it so that’s your best bet. Like 7-8 bucks for fluid. YouTube block tester. It’s easy to do and will eliminate head gasket and I assume cracked head as well. Maybe someone else will have a good idea what’s going on though. Let us know what you find if you do the test.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.