Wtf is wrong with my engine?
02-18-2019, (Subject: Wtf is wrong with my engine? ) 
Wtf is wrong with my engine?
https://youtu.be/fyjWFAJJbtY

Truck starter hung up, banged with hammer and it started fine after. Brought it to a mechanic to put a new starter in, afterwards when they pulled it out of the shop.... we left it running overnight because it's cold outside.

In the morning the mechanics shut it off because the fuel light was on and they didnt want it to run out of fuel. Later that day we put a heater on it, waited a bit then started it up..... here is where it gets interesting.

It sounds like its running on 3 cylinders, knocking so bad like a metal barrel filled with mallets. It maxes out the rpm at a certain point. When it was cold, couldn't idle above 900rpm... when warm it would rev/idle up to 1400rpm but once at max idle it would start smoking (and shown in video) then slowly start lowering the idle till it was at 800rpm.

I have not put the computer on it, been busy since with a new job and it's been to cold to start without my coolant heater working. Gonna check it out again tomorrow but I'm seriously at a loss right now.

Thoughts?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Wtf is wrong with my engine?
My buddies actuator failed and was doing that same thing...smoking heavily and only running up to 900 rpm in neutral with pedal floored.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(02-18-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  My buddies actuator failed and was doing that same thing...smoking heavily and only running up to 900 rpm in neutral with pedal floored.

yup, a turbo locked up at 100% closed will make one labor under its own exhaust back-pressure in neutral and only rev up so far + smoke real bad ( if there is no DPF to mask this). This is also very very hard on the engine and can destroy it if someone presses the fuel pedal all the way down against all the back-pressure too much when it is in this condition.

most likely a turbo issue, but also ..

just some related thoughts...

It being extremely cold outside, make sure your air can/intake/turbo/etc. is not blocked up with ice, and if its a CM870, make sure the air line feeding the turbo controller is not iced over somewhere too.

could also be a failed timing actuator, slipped injector cam, or other things that can mess up injection timing, as that is the same type of symptoms.

(for those reading this who may have similar heavy smoking problem) ..
Also, if they were to remove the oil fill cap off and see tons of smoke coming out the oil fill tube, it is also a sign that there could be a cracked piston.

=====

What engine model, miles, some history?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
871 1.8 million km.

No engine codes

Forgot to mention the intake manifold was getting very hot while running, burns my hand if I hold it on the intake manifold.

Thanks for the ideas, well see what I find.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
actuator seized up check your exhaust pressure readings, either that or it froze up somewhere.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.