New CPL# for rebuild
02-18-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
New CPL# for rebuild
I’m in process of rebuilding 2013 2350 due to carbon packing. The original engine number is 79672960 450hp. I want to rebuild it to a 79646458 which is a 600hp. Looking thru quickserve part numbers it looks like the piston and liners, cam, and injectors are the same but the head and turbo are different. I can understand the turbo being different but what’s up with the head being different?

I’ll take some picks if the intake side of the head for you guys. You literally can just barely make out the valve stems from the packed in carbon at 583,000. I don’t know how it was running. Lol

Yes replacing trans with a rebuilt 2050 18 speed. Just hope rear ends make it a while. Lol
replyreply
02-18-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
RE: New CPL# for rebuild
(02-18-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  ...
what’s up with the head being different?

bigger CPL head has larger exhaust valves/ports.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-19-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
Ok so looks like a new head for rebuild. Hope it doesn’t crack. Lord of guys putting on new Cummins heads have had cracking head issues shortly after rebuild
replyreply
(02-19-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  Ok so looks like a new head for rebuild. Hope it doesn’t crack. Lord of guys putting on new Cummins heads have had cracking head issues shortly after rebuild

If everything is put back as should to the T then it shouldn't. Those guys that had cracked heads is usually for more then one reason. Most likely they are on the second or maybe even 5th head lol.

If you want to really make all of your hard work pay of and make it worth every dollar. These guys in here are in a league of their own.

I'd like to see that build of yours personally on this forum!

If it get's here, it stays here for others to use as a example!.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , g4lk
I was thinking the 450 and 600 pistons were different.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I’ll take some pics as it’s going and keep everyone updated. I’m going to talk to my builder this morning about maybe taking my head to machine shop to be redone instead of getting a head proned to cracking.

But yes everything is the same between the two engine numbers except the head and turbo and of course programming. Which he can put in the new files for the new hp and torque but going to need to find someone else for some demandate work.
replyreply
(02-19-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I’ll take some pics as it’s going and keep everyone updated. I’m going to talk to my builder this morning about maybe taking my head to machine shop to be redone instead of getting a head proned to cracking.

But yes everything is the same between the two engine numbers except the head and turbo and of course programming. Which he can put in the new files for the new hp and torque but going to need to find someone else for some demandate work.

only time I see heads cracking, it is bad install or (most often) bad de-mandate programming + ignorance of some sort or fashion.

I would NOT recommend using the old head if it has more than 450k miles on it,. and CERTAINLY would not recommend it be re-worked,.. buy a brand new head,.. do thigns right, use all OEM parts and make it into something reliable instead of something to brag about.-- Personally, i think what your doing is a large waste of money,.. all the extra expense is typically not worth it... new injectors (more than $7,000+ you will also have no compatible cores to trade in), new cams(another $3,000-$4,000 extra), and other things that run the cost up unnecessarily,.. for what,.. a few ft-lb of torque? -- Not worth it. - A person would be much better off simply using a 500-series VGT (turbo from a CM871) on the mid-tier and using only the larger parts that were going to be replaced anyways. Not worth an extra $10,000+ for only a few more ft-lbs,.. the mid-tiers have no problems making 550-600 hp at 1750 or 1850 ft-lbs torque all on their own, especially if you put a 500-series VGT on it. 2000+ ft lbs on a CM2350 only serves to mostly shorten their lifespan, as all the extra torque is only in the liner-abusing 1100-1200 rpm ranges any ways.

I got a better idea,.. simply re-gear the equipment for its intended purpose instead of making the engine (the most expensive component int he drive-train) work harder. That would be the appropriate solution above all else in most situations.

that is what i think about such endeavors,,. I am not a fan of big hp at all, but better fuel mileage + profits you can keep ... Most people are not in business to see how fast they can go up a hill, though it seems to be a disease of some sort that gets into some of them. Most ppl i have met, at the end of the day are in business to deliver freight safely and with the least long term operating costs possible. -- The path you are on with this seems very strongly that it is neither of these. If that is the case, you need to take your conversations to some other forum or to social madia where you can brag about butchering that thing to hell and back all you want to,.. because I have little tolerance for such things here.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fixmytruck123 , Waterloo
(02-19-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I’ll take some pics as it’s going and keep everyone updated. I’m going to talk to my builder this morning about maybe taking my head to machine shop to be redone instead of getting a head proned to cracking.

only time I see heads cracking, it is bad install or (most often) bad de-mandate programming + ignorance of some sort or fashion.

I would NOT recommend using the old head if it has more than 450k miles on it,. and CERTAINLY would not recommend it be re-worked,.. buy a brand new head,.. do thigns right, use all OEM parts and make it into something reliable instead of something to brag about.-- Personally, i think what your doing is a large waste of money,.. all the extra expense is typically not worth it... new injectors (more than $7,000+ with no cores to trade in), new cams(another $3,000-$4,000 extra), and other things that run the cost up unnecessarily,.. for what,.. a few ft-lb of torque? -- Not worth it. - A person would be much better off simply using a 500-series VGT (turbo from a CM871) on the mid-tier and using only the larger parts that were going to be replaced anyways. Not worth an extra $10,000+ for only a few more ft-lbs,.. the mid-tiers have no problems making 550-600 hp at 1750 or 1850 ft-lbs torque all on their own, especially if you put a 500-series VGT on it. 2000+ ft lbs on a CM2350 only serves to mostly shorten their lifespan, as all the extra torque is only in the liner-abusing 1100-1200 rpm ranges any ways.

I got a better idea,.. simply re-gear the equipment for its intended purpose instead of making the engine (the most expensive component int he drive-train) work harder. That would be the appropriate solution above all else in most situations.

that is what i think about such endeavors,,. I am not a fan of big hp at all, but better fuel mileage + profits you can keep ... Most people are not in business to see how fast they can go up a hill, though it seems to be a disease of some sort that gets into some of them. Most ppl i have met, at the end of the day are in business to deliver freight safely and with the least long term operating costs possible. -- The path you are on with this seems very strongly that it is neither of these. If that is the case, you need to take your conversations to some other forum or to social madia where you can brag about butchering that thing to hell and back all you want to,.. because I have little tolerance for such things here.

Please excuse my ignorance. But how are people installing the heads to the point of cracking? I’ve seen some with cracks between valves and a couple times at the injector hole, but all had over 500k miles on em. Maybe improper torque sequence or maybe debris on the deck surface?
replyreply
(02-19-2019 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Please excuse my ignorance. But how are people installing the heads to the point of cracking? I’ve seen some with cracks between valves and a couple times at the injector hole, but all had over 500k miles on em. Maybe improper torque sequence or maybe debris on the deck surface?

I've seen plenty that had cracked, like you said, usually between the valve seats, or between the 2 exhaust valves after high hp horrible (big-name delete tuning) programming was installed.

Even saw some pictures of one that the deck was not cleaned properly too. The same hack-job idiots used some kind of rtv on the chineese knock-off head gasket to boot.

I think even snail-express lost an engine (not the head though) due to some morons using rtv where they shouldn't have once -- could have very well been the same outfit.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.