New CPL# for rebuild
02-21-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
RE: New CPL# for rebuild
I love horsepower as much as anyone ...but at an additional $15,000 for 100 ponies? what happened to the days of a 3406b where a couple turns of a screw and re-time could get you that same or better at no or little cost?
As far as rear end gearing? think of it this way .. 3.36 (or whatever) will give you a top speed of 100mph (arbitrary numbers) and 4.11's will give you a top speed of 75mph ...the difference is you have 18 gears spaced between 0 and 100mph or 18 gears spaced between 0 and 75mph? the spacing of 0-75 gives you more usable gearing. Personally I dislike trucks geared for above 80? mainly because I will go there and there really is no reason to run that fast ....its kinda flirting with public safety ....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , LargeCar
02-21-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
That’s all great information. Thank you I will make sure I’m loafing at the garage when the head goes on. I’ll admit I never thought of changing oil like that but it does make a very valid points and all the guys I run with say I’m to anel by changing my oil every 15,000. I’m actually pretty compulsive about my maintenance because that truck is the only thing that makes me money. I still grease and adjust brakes on it and the companies trailer every weekend. Nothing like tight trailer and loose truck brakes. Lol

I purposely bought this truck because everybody said to get a smaller hp engine and it will help keep the emissions equipment in better condition because I’m always heavy and running the guts out of it but after seeing that carbon in the head I’m really at a loss for words as much as I took care of it. I know this sounds absolutely stupid by why not just get rid of the dang egr since the DEF fluid now supposedly takes care of the NOX emissions. I’m not upset I bought 630 gallons of fuel over 4 years for the doser but making these engines run on its own exhaust is just stupid.

Thanks for the help but dang a person spends $25000 for a inframe from Cummins with all Cummins parts you would think we could do a little better than a one year warranty and the mechanics would know exactly what they are doing
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
02-22-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
(02-18-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I’m in process of rebuilding 2013 2350 due to carbon packing. The original engine number is 79672960 450hp. I want to rebuild it to a 79646458 which is a 600hp. Looking thru quickserve part numbers it looks like the piston and liners, cam, and injectors are the same but the head and turbo are different. I can understand the turbo being different but what’s up with the head being different?

I’ll take some picks if the intake side of the head for you guys. You literally can just barely make out the valve stems from the packed in carbon at 583,000. I don’t know how it was running. Lol

Yes replacing trans with a rebuilt 2050 18 speed. Just hope rear ends make it a while. Lol
I believe the head has more pressure on the valve steams also. Another thing is you better cut the counter bores and figure out how to get a better shim in there. The factory dimensions on that shim are a disaster waiting to happen. Not wide enough in my opinion. If not accidentally installed perfectly you could have very little contact between liner and counter bore shim. I say accidentally because there is no way to know if it right or not. You can’t see anything there after it’s installed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(02-21-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I’m putting on a new head as my mechanic said redoing the old one was waste of time and money. I wanted to redo the head because I have seen so many rebuilds lately with new OEM Cummins heads cracking shortly after the rebuild. I know 1 guy that has a logging company that lost 2 heads within a few weeks of there rebuilds but the were demandated while being rebuilt. My thought was if it’s got 580,000 it should be a head I don’t have to worry about cracking but I’m no pro mechanic so I’ll listen to mine.

As far as bumping up the hp we decided to do 565 1850 to not have to worry about the rest of the driveline. But I haul propane and sometimes a lot more than I’m supposed too and unfortunately we don’t have the time to ease along to try and save fuel. The best I ever got with the 450 is 5.1mpg hauling legal up in Michigan on flatlands. 90 percent of my running is the hills of WV and KY and it’s kind of disheartening when I get passed by coal trucks grossing twice what I am so it may use a little more fuel but as long as I keep getting $3.00 plus a mile I’m ok with that.

And the only thing different between a 450 and a 565 is the turbo. All internals, can, injectors are the same. If you want 605 2050 than you have to add a different head to the list. I figured 580,000 on stock turbo might as well buy a new one and get the bigger one which is the same price as a turbo for a 450.

I did get a bit upset today when they asked me if I wanted a new oil pump. I can’t believe a new Cummins kit doesn’t include a oil pump at these prices. But definitely not demandating anything for at least a year now!

And on the gear change thing I understand going from my 3.55 to a 3.90 would get you going faster from a dead stop but how does it really help on hills? Once you hit that hill and rpms start dropping how is the 3.90 going to be any better than say a 3.36?
thats some crap fuel mileage for a tank on flat ground. Something ain’t right.
replyreply
(02-21-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  The bad demandate for the cracked heads makes more sense because all the guys having that trouble are coming from the same shop which is one of those mom and pop garages. Mine is at a Cummins shop only because it was the closest to stop and see why my engine was eating a gallon of oil every few hundred miles. I have tried to leave this engine bone stock since I have owned it and it didn’t by any means give me a terrible time but after seeing that head so carboned up and I change my oil every 15,000 I will not let this new rebuild do that again.

As for the gearing I’m definitely not saying your wrong but just like Moose’s example when I get tired I just drop gears. Ultimately more hp gets u up faster
Cummins shop. Liner height won’t be high enough. Better leave hp low and gear it to rev higher rpm just driving down the road. Your asking for trouble.
replyreply
I’m kinda in Waterloo’s shoes. Bought a truck with a supposedly Cummins complete reman. Even had air compressor. Year and a half later it drops a valve. I tear into find out the head is China. The engine is all marked up with white markings like a local repair, liner heights were at .010. Which is higher end of Cummins specs. Liner shims weren’t in true and we’re barley contacting by looking at the shim. And the counter bores were cracked. Two of the holes I had to cut .060 to clean up. Cummins isx has issues. They can be rectified but I wouldn’t be at a Cummins shop to get things done right. Sorry to tell you that because your already committed. The only hope I can see for you is to leave the hp fairly tame and Cruise rpm needs to be 1500 ish. Don’t lug it. Change oil 10-15 thousand depending on fuel usage. Oil bypass filter if keeping mandate. Thank God for this forum and the information these guys share with us.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Tootall , LargeCar
(02-22-2019 )Magard Wrote:  ...
The engine is all marked up with white markings like a local repair

that is certainly not sounding like a certified reman engine,.. someone is scamming someone somewhere. - The aussie and NZ markets are also throught with so-called 'factory re-mans' that some local shops are slapping together and slipping into the supply chain somewhere.

If it is a true certified re-man, you should be able to get a hold of cummins corporate and get some records of it based on its ser#. It should also show it as a recon enigne and show the build date on quickserv.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
It has a rebuilt serial number and when I talk to local Cummins they say it’s theres by the serial number. It’s in quick serve with all the parts that we’re put in at the rebuild. I just dropped it. Demandated engine. I just took it as a $25000 education and moved on. I just want people to know that you can get really screwed thinking Cummins is reputable and there for there costumers. I will never by a Cummins reman agian that’s for sure. Far as motors go. We don’t have a lot of options. My machanic buddy that’s helping me with the rebuild says he’s been doing a lot of dd-15 right now. 5 or 6 hundred thousand they blow. Probably no matainance on bottom end and extended oil service.
I thought before all this if I bought Cummins reman it must be good. Built by the company that designed the motor. You would think that they would want to protect there reputation. Not.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , LargeCar , snailexpress
(02-22-2019 )Magard Wrote:  It has a rebuilt serial number and when I talk to local Cummins they say it’s theres by the serial number. It’s in quick serve with all the parts that we’re put in at the rebuild. I just dropped it. Demandated engine. I just took it as a $25000 education and moved on. I just want people to know that you can get really screwed thinking Cummins is reputable and there for there costumers. I will never by a Cummins reman agian that’s for sure. Far as motors go. We don’t have a lot of options. My machanic buddy that’s helping me with the rebuild says he’s been doing a lot of dd-15 right now. 5 or 6 hundred thousand they blow. Probably no matainance on bottom end and extended oil service.
I thought before all this if I bought Cummins reman it must be good. Built by the company that designed the motor. You would think that they would want to protect there reputation. Not.

These are the stories that bring up my blood pressure. Good people trying to do the right thing for the right reason only get screwed in the end.

I feel more than ever that this industry is aimed at the big trucking companies exchanging their trucks at 300,000 miles and bringing in new equipment, new taxes, and supporting the “machine”. Us little guys have to become even smarter, stronger and darn right lucky in order to survive.

Thank you Rawze for the opportunity to stay ahead in this game we base our livelihood on, please keep fighting the fight, we need you!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Waterloo , LargeCar , snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.