New CPL# for rebuild
02-21-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
RE: New CPL# for rebuild
I’m putting on a new head as my mechanic said redoing the old one was waste of time and money. I wanted to redo the head because I have seen so many rebuilds lately with new OEM Cummins heads cracking shortly after the rebuild. I know 1 guy that has a logging company that lost 2 heads within a few weeks of there rebuilds but the were demandated while being rebuilt. My thought was if it’s got 580,000 it should be a head I don’t have to worry about cracking but I’m no pro mechanic so I’ll listen to mine.

As far as bumping up the hp we decided to do 565 1850 to not have to worry about the rest of the driveline. But I haul propane and sometimes a lot more than I’m supposed too and unfortunately we don’t have the time to ease along to try and save fuel. The best I ever got with the 450 is 5.1mpg hauling legal up in Michigan on flatlands. 90 percent of my running is the hills of WV and KY and it’s kind of disheartening when I get passed by coal trucks grossing twice what I am so it may use a little more fuel but as long as I keep getting $3.00 plus a mile I’m ok with that.

And the only thing different between a 450 and a 565 is the turbo. All internals, can, injectors are the same. If you want 605 2050 than you have to add a different head to the list. I figured 580,000 on stock turbo might as well buy a new one and get the bigger one which is the same price as a turbo for a 450.

I did get a bit upset today when they asked me if I wanted a new oil pump. I can’t believe a new Cummins kit doesn’t include a oil pump at these prices. But definitely not demandating anything for at least a year now!

And on the gear change thing I understand going from my 3.55 to a 3.90 would get you going faster from a dead stop but how does it really help on hills? Once you hit that hill and rpms start dropping how is the 3.90 going to be any better than say a 3.36?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
New CPL# for rebuild - NoTime - 02-18-2019,
RE: New CPL# for rebuild - NoTime - 02-21-2019
RE: New CPL# for rebuild - Unilevers - 02-26-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.