Oil Temp Overheating issue
05-27-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
RE: Oil Temp Overheating issue
I had this problem on my cm870 oil temp would
Heat up to 250° , and the buzzer warning sound would come On, it turned out to be bad oil cooler and oil cooler thermostat, problem fixed! Now normal oil operation
Temp is around 226° traveling 67mph.
replyreply
05-28-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
The question is -- What exactly failed in the oil cooler? -- It is a static device with no moving parts. Did it plug up? -- if so WHAT PLUGGED It UP!-- I would be very concerned with that one if I owned that truck.

Any time an oil cooler fails, there is a good reason for it,.. bad, corrosive coolant, bad oil,... excess soot problems in the engine, containments/shavings in the oil or coolant system,.. it almost always points to other problems too.

Even if it was vibration that got it -- GUESS WHAT --- THE CRANK SHAFT DAMPER IS BAD TOO!.

===========

When I was a child, I heard My Grandfather tell someone once,.... When something on your car fails,.. It is 97% almost always something else that caused it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-06-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
I thought I would Update everyone with what is going on with my truck.
I replaced the oil cooler there was a lot of junk in the coolant system seems like someone had a bad mix at some point and there was some gunk and corrosion in the coolant system.
Replaced Water pump as well.
Swapped out ECM with a delete as well from another truck that is overheating oil was still overheating.
2 injectors where not operating efficiently and were replaced as well.
Installed a Egt temp sensor on manifold (glowshift Gauge) and boost gauge.
Pyro gets up to 750f on a hard climb and turbo boost ranges between 28-34.
Zero boost leaks right now
Got rid of all exhaust restrictions.
Truck just got turbo and actuator Replaced in January.
Runs even no misfires all sensors inspected. Imap, Exhaust Pressure Sensor, Egr Diff sensor, Oil Temp sensor, were replaced.
Oil still climbs over 245 fairly quickly if I dont ease off and turn on the fan. I dont let it get over that much.
Going to double check on the oil temp sensor wiring but it seems to me like it is reading accurately because when I get high oil temps and I pull over with my Laser temp reader it shows oil filter temp at same temperature as what the sensor is telling me.
Im starting to think I might need to take a look at the bottom end of this motor even though it was all replaced recently as well, Bearings, Oil pump, Pickup Tube...

If any of you pros got some ideas of what might be going on Let Me know!!
Thanks
replyreply
06-07-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(06-06-2016 )garystruck Wrote:  I thought I would Update everyone with what is going on with my truck.
I replaced the oil cooler there was a lot of junk in the coolant system seems like someone had a bad mix at some point and there was some gunk and corrosion in the coolant system.
Replaced Water pump as well.
Swapped out ECM with a delete as well from another truck that is overheating oil was still overheating.
2 injectors where not operating efficiently and were replaced as well.
Installed a Egt temp sensor on manifold (glowshift Gauge) and boost gauge.
Pyro gets up to 750f on a hard climb and turbo boost ranges between 28-34.
Zero boost leaks right now
Got rid of all exhaust restrictions.
Truck just got turbo and actuator Replaced in January.
Runs even no misfires all sensors inspected. Imap, Exhaust Pressure Sensor, Egr Diff sensor, Oil Temp sensor, were replaced.
Oil still climbs over 245 fairly quickly if I dont ease off and turn on the fan. I dont let it get over that much.
Going to double check on the oil temp sensor wiring but it seems to me like it is reading accurately because when I get high oil temps and I pull over with my Laser temp reader it shows oil filter temp at same temperature as what the sensor is telling me.
Im starting to think I might need to take a look at the bottom end of this motor even though it was all replaced recently as well, Bearings, Oil pump, Pickup Tube...

If any of you pros got some ideas of what might be going on Let Me know!!
Thanks

is this thing deleted and what power level? does the water temp climb at all? sry i came in late to the party.
replyreply
Maybe the oil thermostat is all gunked up.
I would try running some restore in the cooling system, and flush it all out.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
The big question --- Is it a MM style delete? If so, who did it?

-- Maybe you have a MM style,.. if so, that is great, but if it is NOT ... If it is not a MM style del, that would explain high oil temps real fast! (and if your not sure, it is likely NOT).

I am just putting this out there so that people that may have a bad delete can be aware of this stuff...

There are so many places that do bad deletes for those engines that it is just sickening. If it was not done by one of the very very few places that use the MM method,.. your troubles are far worse that you know.

bad deletes cause...

* higher than normal oil temps (very very common). It is not always bad programming that does this, but a bad delete will DEFINITELY causes it).

* High VGT turbo positions at idle (above about 20% or so)

* Repeating VGT/turbo damage destruction

* Cracked heads (even if the power was not turned up).

* Dangerous condition for the pistons eventually leading to damage and/or complete destruction.

* severely shortened engine life.

* A bad delete will also keep the oil black, like it was with the EGR. On a good delete, the oil will not turn black any more. The oil will stay light brown for about 8,000 miles plus at a time, and on many trucks, it will stay light-to medium brown even after 20,000 miles.

====

* Another sign of spotting a bad delete is if the person or shop that did it, or is going to do it -- trying to push or suggest that you to remove the VGT turbo. One of the worst mistakes a person can make on a modern diesel engine.

* Another sign of a bad delete is someone NOT opening up the exhaust as much as possible (can cause high oil temps, performance problems and reduced engine efficiency). I have seen so many guys drill a bunch of smaller holes in their "cans" instead of opening them up all the way. -- THIS IS VERY BAD! -- IT NEEDS TO BE OPEN -- LIKE 8-INCHES DIAMETER OPEN! MINIMUM! to prevent reflected heat in the exhaust system.

-- Also, bad delete companies will only drill out a few holes in the cans instead of opening them up all the way to make the engine have exhaust restrictions to prevent turbo over-spooling. THIS IS VERY BAD TOO!!! -- And only proves their delete is HORRIBLE!. All you end up with is all of the problems i described above. -- i got a better idea for those who do this,.. PROGRAM THE TURBO CORRECTLY TO BEGIN WITH MORON!

====

just my take on it any ways.
replyreply
I have seen timing on the tune cause this. To much retard or to much advance there is a happy spot that your engine will love. The milage goes up and you can tell when you watch fuel commanded it goes down. At the same rpm and throttle position.
replyreply
(06-07-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  I have seen timing on the tune cause this. To much retard or to much advance there is a happy spot that your engine will love. The milage goes up and you can tell when you watch fuel commanded it goes down. At the same rpm and throttle position.

i was hinting at this, just gearhead worded it better.
replyreply
06-09-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
Finally found the culprit giving me Nightmares!!!

As I posted before the first thing I did was replace the Oil thermostat. After no results and consulting with some mechanics I completely removed it thinking it was a faulty Thermostat. My understanding was without the Oil thermostat the oil will not heat up as fast and the oil cooler will be working at 100% efficiency. After thinking this over and over I figured maybe I was wrong and that without the oil thermostat oil will be bypassing the cooler causing it to heat up. Bought another Thermostat installed it and oil not going over 235f now!!

I am getting too old for this stuff and cant keep up with these new ways! Anyways in the end I replaced a lot of stuff that had to be replaced anyways such as CAC and injectors but If the first thermostat did the truck it would have been a whole lot easier!!
Thanks Y'all for your time and inputs!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.