Oil Temp Overheating issue
07-20-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
RE: Oil Temp Overheating issue
Thanks for replying
Radiator is replaced last year along with it a new oil cooler and thermostat
And Cummins inspect main bearing according to them bottom of engine is in good shape
I change my oil every 15000 to 17000 miles
Will do a coolant flush when go back to home this week
replyreply
I thought mine temp was bad a 200.
replyreply
200° oil temp is low. You should be at least above water boiling temp to stave of moisture collecting in the oil.
replyreply
Could be a cam bearing out or a gear train bearing there's more then just rod/mains that oil can pickup heat from

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
On a normal day my oil temp just gets to 200 or just hair over. Even on a pull like Mont Eagle I barely get to 225, and my fan hardly ever kicks on because of water temp.
replyreply
07-21-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(07-20-2020 )Brock Wrote:  With the probe on the manifold externally, I never really see over 500 degrees. I'm sure I could get it to climb more on hills but I climb at 1800-1900 rpm.

Oil empty(55,000lbs) or loaded (140,000lbs)runs 220 to 240 I only see 240 loaded though.

something does not add up with that.. high oil temps and colder than normal manifold temps usually a sign of too high injection timing (or too much boost/running too lean) for the application. That could be dangerous. Make sure you don't have a slipped cam or something else that effects injection timing going on.

Also might want t verify your pyro readings with a temp gun at some point to ensure your reading are correct. 500 seems low, even for the outside of the manifold.

- I know it would bother and scare the he#$ll out of me if i saw oil temps getting 240+ and only saw 500F on the manifold. i would be concerned as crap about my pistons/cylinders possibly getting tortured.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(07-21-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 )Brock Wrote:  With the probe on the manifold externally, I never really see over 500 degrees. I'm sure I could get it to climb more on hills but I climb at 1800-1900 rpm.

Oil empty(55,000lbs) or loaded (140,000lbs)runs 220 to 240 I only see 240 loaded though.

something does not add up with that.. high oil temps and colder than normal manifold temps usually a sign of too high injection timing (or too much boost/running too lean) for the application. That could be dangerous. Make sure you don't have a slipped cam or something else that effects injection timing going on.

Also might want t verify your pyro readings with a temp gun at some point to ensure your reading are correct. 500 seems low, even for the outside of the manifold.

- I know it would bother and scare the he#$ll out of me if i saw oil temps getting 240+ and only saw 500F on the manifold. i would be concerned as crap about my pistons/cylinders possibly getting tortured.
Running 38psi boost.

Got my cam, timing wedge and injector test kits on order right now, hoping to see them for days off then I'll be reading into this thing a bit.

I'll keep you posted with what I find.

I did notice when I was in Calterm these inactive codes so I'm fixin to check into this. That VG code seems to only pop up when I first upload to ECM, I've been having issues lately with a error code after uploading the cal to the ECM so I assumed it had something to do with that.

I'm assuming my dumb ass must have forgot to unlock the ECM before downloading one time so I'm going back to a earlier cal to try that.

Lots to do this set of days off.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
My Prostar hauling the same weights ran a way cooler oil temp than my big nose heavy breathing Pete, Prostar was 600hp and this Pete is 500 so who knows...

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.