Intake valve failure
02-27-2019, (Subject: Intake valve failure ) 
Intake valve failure
Just had a 09 ISX with present with a huffing sound in the breather. How fast it came on lead me to believe that a piece chipped off the valve head. Checked the lash any ways and it was in spec so it's definitely failed valve.

Just kinda curious how prominent this failure is?

Wasn't looking forward to doing a inframe in another truck but here we are. It'll get a new head anyways but man the only word that encompasses my feelings for the ISX is disappointment. Where as the old 855's were practically indestructible. A bit bitter I guess.
replyreply
RE: Intake valve failure
Have you done a cylinder cutout test?

To be sure it's a valve issue, I would remove the exhaust manifold and inspect the ports. A cylider with a failed valve or seat should have signs of fuel as there is very low compression. While the manifold is off - Rotate the engine so that the suspect cylinder has exhaust open and intake closed, then pressurise the intake and see if it leaks out the exhaust. Do the opposite if you suspect an exhaust valve failure.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2 , ZeroNthedark
I'm not looking for how to diagnose it as that's done. It's an intake valve. It must be a very small crack or chip and the cylinder is firing fine and clean exhaust. The light huffing in the breather turned into a really loud pop when i pulled the egr inlet off the intake manifold. It's number 4.

I pulled an AERA report listing what they call an intake valve chordal malfunction. Just wondering how common it's been or did I hit the lottery. For AERA to do a report and list updated parts it must be more common than Cummin's would like.

At least it's not a dropped valve. Still pretty disappointing on an engine that was running really well.
replyreply
02-28-2019, (Subject: Intake valve failure ) 
Are you saying this valve failure is on a new Cummins head. How many miles?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.