Curious questions
02-28-2019, (Subject: Curious questions ) 
Curious questions
2014 t680 with a ISX 15 400 Cummins. Two questions i would need help with.

1. My sweet spot on my rpm meter is at 1300 rpm. That’s where I keep my engine running over the road. But I read that an ISX should be kept at 1650-1800 to get best performance, is this true? And if so, should I forget about that sweet spot indicator?
2. I would like to be as effective as I can to fix my own truck and I’m searching for the best way to purchase the insight and inline products. The best way to get everything I need to start my own diagnose and repair. A lot of online stores offer diffrent prices and deals. I’m confused as to what to purchase that will accomplish the the road I choose to travel.
Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thank you. :blush:
replyreply
RE: Curious questions
You're gonna want to search Cummins Insite version 7.6.2 and a cummins Inline 5 or 6 adapter. The adapters usually come with the Insite software but you'll want to make sure it comes with version 7.6.2 stay away from version 8 and above or newer for they are paid subscription. You'll also want a laptop with windows 7 or newer. It is a tool now so have it dedicated to your truck diagnosing software only.

Cheapest way to collect all the above would be clean up and clean install an old laptop someone may have and go to eBay (chinese knockoffs are working just fine for a lot of us) or google search the adapter for the Inline adapter. You can spend a couple hundred $$ and be up and running real easy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rraccerr
(02-28-2019 )rraccerr Wrote:  2014 t680 with a ISX 15 400 Cummins. Two questions i would need help with.

1. My sweet spot on my rpm meter is at 1300 rpm. That’s where I keep my engine running over the road. But I read that an ISX should be kept at 1650-1800 to get best performance, is this true? And if so, should I forget about that sweet spot indicator?
2. I would like to be as effective as I can to fix my own truck and I’m searching for the best way to purchase the insight and inline products. The best way to get everything I need to start my own diagnose and repair. A lot of online stores offer diffrent prices and deals. I’m confused as to what to purchase that will accomplish the the road I choose to travel.

The lower RPM range is hard on the liners. It's a known weakness on these ISX engines. You want to stay above 1500, so if your climbing a hill and you drop to 1500 shift it down a gear, if you drop to 1500 again drop it down another gear. Stay above 1500 on a hard pull. Some guys say 1650 but you get the point. 1300 is quite low in my opinion, the more you lug that engine the sooner you'll have to inframe it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , Waterloo , rraccerr , Magard
(02-28-2019 )rraccerr Wrote:  2014 t680 with a ISX 15 400 Cummins. Two questions i would need help with.

there is no "sweet spot". 1300 is too low rpm for pulling power (when you need a lot of boost). it is better to have it in higher rpm range - 1660 or so when pulling hard. - When not pulling hard, it is better to use the lower rpm.. it changes with loads and terrain and requirements.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid24378

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , Waterloo , Volvo8873 , rraccerr , Magard , hhow55
I love the example of riding a bike..is it easier on you to go up that hill in top gear or a lower gear? I know from experience my legs appreciate the lower gear and pumping fast than a high gear and struggling to keep it moving
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rraccerr , hhow55
Do you have more power in 5th or 8th ?

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rraccerr , Hammerhead
03-01-2019, (Subject: Curious questions ) 
(02-28-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You're gonna want to search Cummins Insite version 7.6.2 and a cummins Inline 5 or 6 adapter. The adapters usually come with the Insite software but you'll want to make sure it comes with version 7.6.2 stay away from version 8 and above or newer for they are paid subscription. You'll also want a laptop with windows 7 or newer. It is a tool now so have it dedicated to your truck diagnosing software only.

Cheapest way to collect all the above would be clean up and clean install an old laptop someone may have and go to eBay (chinese knockoffs are working just fine for a lot of us) or google search the adapter for the Inline adapter. You can spend a couple hundred $$ and be up and running real easy.

Thank you!

I’m off the road for a couple of days so I didnt reply back sooner. I found a insite pro going for a hundred. Scared to purchase because I’m not sure I can register it. So I’m going to go searching for the one you mentioned. Thank you. I’m thankful for the help!
replyreply
(02-28-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

The lower RPM range is hard on the liners. It's a known weakness on these ISX engines. You want to stay above 1500, so if your climbing a hill and you drop to 1500 shift it down a gear, if you drop to 1500 again drop it down another gear. Stay above 1500 on a hard pull. Some guys say 1650 but you get the point. 1300 is quite low in my opinion, the more you lug that engine the sooner you'll have to inframe it.

Thank you!
I’ll apply this knowledge to my driving habit and try to get comfortable with the ride. Applying this information to the truck will have me looking at many things among the fuel mileage. I’ll be looking at my speed also. I run interste doing 65. So I will be looking forward to driving to see the changes.
What rpm is a good cruise on the flats?
replyreply
(02-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  

there is no "sweet spot". 1300 is too low rpm for pulling power (when you need a lot of boost). it is better to have it in higher rpm range - 1660 or so when pulling hard. - When not pulling hard, it is better to use the lower rpm.. it changes with loads and terrain and requirements.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid24378

My rpm gauge has two green bars and the middle of those bars is at 13 rpm and my trip summary shows it is a sweet spot. I have a 400 ISX 15 and it’s been bumped to 485 so my bars been adjusted to those rpm levels. But I’m grateful for your response to my question and will look forward to applying this and let you know how it went. Thanks
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.