Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration.
04-14-2019, (Subject: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. ) 
RE: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration.
I took her to the independent shop that day. The mechanic there spent about 30 minutes looking at the codes and then checking some things on the harness. He said he was certain I didn't have any actual faults because the sensors that were throwing codes were all throwing them at the exact same time and those sensors all connected to the same harness at some point. He was sure he could fix it but he couldn't get to it for a few days because he had other work lined up ahead of me, which I completely understand. He suggested I take it to cummins if I needed it running before then and cleared the derate so I could get it over there, and told me what to tell them. Even though I didn't get the work done there, I got a really good impression from that guy and would feel comfortable taking her back to get something fixed when I could afford the time. I took it to cummins the next morning and told them what he told me, they called me back 3 hours later with it fixed. There was a section of harness not too far back from the scr intermediate sensor that had came loose at a junction. The clips that would normally hold it together were broke. They didn't have that section of harness available so they cross crossed zip tied it together. I didn't mind the way they fixed it, but I wasn't too happy having to pay for it since they've worked on the emission systems 3 times in a year and replaced those sensors a month ago, ...all behind those same codes, but it is what it is. No more emission codes yet and the fuel mileage is maintaining decent numbers.
Here is the good stuff. That fan clutch that I noticed wasn't working completely exploded night before last. I was going down the highway out in the middle of nowhere and heard what I that was a shotgun blast. Didn't feel anything and honestly thought maybe I drove past some farm kids out fucking around in the dark. Didn't think it was the truck and all the gauges were showing normal. When I got somewhere on the 2 lane where I could pull over I did so I could see if I might have caught some stray buckshot. Coolant was leaking out the radiator. Lifted the hood to some carnage. The fan clutch had exploded and shrapneled both itself and the fan through the radiator. Totally my fault I know, I thought that the fail safe where the fan stayed on was the worst case scenario so I hadn't changed it yet since I had those other truck issues going on at the time. Anyway, the closest I could find a radiator was Dallas or Amarillo. Both many hours from me. Since i'm from amarillo I had my son go get a radiator, fan, and fan clutch, and 14 gallons of coolant and drive 5 hours to me. At 11pm we started changing them out on the side of a 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere in central texas in a thunderstorm using only hand tools. We finished around 6am and zombied back home. Truck runs beautifully and that engine hasn't sounded like this since I've owned it. Im guessing that fan clutch has been asking for help since I bought the truck.
I no longer get that weird occasional screaming sound I've been getting since they swapped my turbo. I had to remove and re-install the piping going to the turbo to get the radiator out and noticed that several of the clamps weren't exactly secured properly. Im not sure if some of that was the cause of the squeal or if metal parts arguing with each other in the fan clutch were the cause, but either way, it's no longer happening. My son and I also feel like some badasses now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
04-14-2019, (Subject: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. ) 
sounds like your learning the hard way that doing the minor to medium things yourself is the only way to have stuff done right these days.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rilloroc
Well, I've always done all my own everything with my cars. I've just been intimidated by this huge vehicle so I've only taken care of minor things myself when it comes to it. This last breakdown forced me past my limits.
replyreply
04-15-2019, (Subject: Multiple emissions codes and probably wrong calibration. ) 
You can def tackle these big trucks as well. There size may be intimidating, but like Rawze mentioned, it’s really the only way to know it’s done right. I have a huge problem with letting anyone do anything on my equipment, home, f’n barstool ,etc lol. Reason being is that I’ve unfortunatey come to expect A piss poor job through majority of those ‘professionals’ out there. It’s kind of like going to a well known restaurant, pay top dollar, get midicocre servive and eat what you could’ve easily made at home for less money and a better product. Difference is, these damn trucks are upwards of 10k when they dealer (or some other hack) does a piss-poor job.

- it should be illegal for a company to charge absolute top dollar per hour and not put out a 100% finished , repaired, and road ready product. The idea of these guys learning on our equipment at $130+ an hour is appalling.

Well there’s my mini-rant. Bottom line is again, don’t be intimidated. You can do it. There’s enough info and genuine people on this forum alone that could help you do anything you needed to on your rig. Man designed and built it, man can certainly fix it. Research will give you answers to any of your questions
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , a113n

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.