New Truck - X15 Advice
03-21-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
RE: New Truck - X15 Advice
So I ended up buying a new Pete with the 565/2050 Performance series. The Paccar MX has been in the shop with CEL issues almost every day, the new truck couldn’t come soon enough. I expect I’ll have it on the road next week some time, I’ll post fuel economy results once I get it sorted.

Any advice for this engine, other than don’t lug it or excessive idling? Has anyone tinkered with them much yet?
replyreply
(03-21-2019 )Camstyn Wrote:  So I ended up buying a new Pete with the 565/2050 Performance series. The Paccar MX has been in the shop with CEL issues almost every day, the new truck couldn’t come soon enough. I expect I’ll have it on the road next week some time, I’ll post fuel economy results once I get it sorted.

Any advice for this engine, other than don’t lug it or excessive idling? Has anyone tinkered with them much yet?

Most likely your destined to repeat any failures that you had for the last truck you owned ...

Learn how to keep it on the road, keep after the emissions systems, install a bypass oil filtration to keep the soot and carbon packing at bay (if your not going to de-mandate it right away) and stay as far away from any OEM shop as you pissibly can,.. learn to turn a wrench and work on it yourself 100%.

While your at it,.. have the engine torque turned down to 1850 or less too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Camstyn , hhow55
Everything the others said us true. Id be doin a egr tuneup every year along with a bypass oil filter system. Id also suggest not lugging it. The dealers all say to run em low for fuel economy. But its b.s.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Camstyn , Waterloo
Thanks everyone. Any certain oilbypass filter system in particular that you recommend?
replyreply
03-22-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
(03-21-2019 )Camstyn Wrote:  Thanks everyone. Any certain oilbypass filter system in particular that you recommend?

Amsoil BMK30 is what most guys recommend, and a fairly simple install and maintenance.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-22-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
I’m thinking I’ll be foregoing the extended warranties and de-mandating as soon as the base warranty expires. I still am not going to have much of a chance to wrench on this truck myself due to logistics, but at least being a Cummins instead of a Paccar it shouldn’t be difficult to find local places that are capable outside of the dealerships.
replyreply
03-23-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
What kind of logistics problems would keep you from wrenching on it? If its lack of space or mother nature hampering you, you may not believe were and what some of us have shade tree wrenched in a bind or just cause its all that available. If its ideas you need to make a space in to a make shift workshop there are many of us on here that have ideas and know they work from 1st hand experience.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
03-23-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
The logistics problem is that this truck never gets closer to me than 1.5 hours away. I drive another truck myself full time. Under normal circumstances I never even see this truck, it’s home terminal is a remote location from my own. It does a dedicated run going the other firection from me, 5 nights a week.
I have a great 40x40’ shop with dual 14’ bay doors and a great collection of tools but I’m not in a position where wrenching on this truck myself is going to be an option very often.
replyreply
03-24-2019, (Subject: New Truck - X15 Advice ) 
I know I've looked into possibly purchasing a new truck with the X15 & I can tell you that if that does ever happen, the first trip will be to see Mr. Hagg. With the knowledge of a select few on this forum I would then have peace of mind knowing the truck was better than when it left the dealer. After that it would most likely be routine maintenance from there on to include rebuilding the fuel pump at every 400k interval.

I've been there with these trucks trying to keep them running every day & that's with a rigorous maintenance program. I don't delay maintenance or repairs period. Hell I even had my ISX leave a Cummins shop after going in with no problems for a complete pm on the emissions system. It was given a complete clean bill of health when the pm was done. On the very next trip it started throwing cel's & derated. I took it right back to the very Cummins shop that just had it in & gave it a clean bill of health. They then proceeded to tell me that the scr, dpf were all of a sudden junk. I replaced them new & got 400 miles to more cel's. Long story short I made an appointment with Mr. Hagg in April of 2017 & never looked back. I did have Mr. Hagg rebuild the engine recently in October/November of 2018. I don't regret my decision. I'll never again let any of these OEM shops near any of my trucks going forward after I take the initial delivery.

That's my opinion on trying to play the BS warranty game. To each their own. Good luck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Camstyn

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.