HEST light on too often...
06-24-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
RE: HEST light on too often...
Got the laptop up and running and did my first forced regen. checked my history and it's still regenning every couple hours, my numbers are still horrible.

Have 91 counts for the turbo actuator ao I am going ro take it off and try and calibrate it tomorrow. I am hoping that will fix the constant regen as I cannot find aNY exhaust leaks anywhere (fixed 1 at doser since last forced regen)

This forced regen took 35 minutes total.

Only other things I can think of.... when I did the egr tuneup, I did not take of the small metal line at the exhaust back pressure sensor and clean it out..... Thats the only step I didn't follow.

Gonna check my cac for leaks as well.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.... and let me know if you know of a way to test the vgt actuator without removing..

./uploads/201606/post_1367_1466823949_8370e3f241f0d92ed4136ce34199c459.jpg

./uploads/201606/post_1367_1466824029_bae5808c87a768901481becb1e33c4c3.jpg
replyreply
06-25-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
I'm thinking the can is plugged. Needs to be removed and cleaned or have it de mandated. I think the VGT actuator can be tested using insite. Not sure how. I think Rawze has a video of calibrating on then verifying proper operation using insite.
replyreply
I plan on mandating the shi#t out of this thing but I need to get it running right before doing anything like that.
replyreply
A local mechanic said there is a differential pressure sensor on thr side of the dpf and he has seen those cause similar constant regen issues.
replyreply
(06-25-2016 )Brock Wrote:  A local mechanic said there is a differential pressure sensor on thr side of the dpf and he has seen those cause similar constant regen issues.

That is correct. Poor quality regens sometimes are caused by ...

* Dirty IMAP and/or Exhaust back pressure sensors.

* Clogged Venturi and other EGR piping.

* the Delta-P for the EGR (bad sensor, leaky joints, and/or clogged tubes going to it)

* The egr valve sticky

* leaky EGR cooler, or excess oil consumption/blow-by

* leaky injectors, creating poor combustion.

* High crank case pressure due to clogged crank case filter or excess ring wear.

* Turbocharger out of calibration or not positioning properly due to excess wear.

* A bad and/or leaky exhaust manifold gasket or turbo gasket.

* A leak in the EGR piping where it goes around the back of the engine, or at one of the other joints.

* Worn out, or clogged tip on the Doser Injector.

* A CAC leak that is causing lower than normal fuel mileage, or an after-market CAC unit (like Duralite etc.) that is slightly restrictive.

* An exhaust leak between the back of the turbo and the front of the DOC/DPF. Even a slight leak can have a serious impact on how well it regens.

* the Delta-P for the DPF not reading correctly (bad sensor, leaky joints, and/or clogged tubes going to it)

* The DPF or DOC clogged and/or face pluged by ash, coolant or oil buildup.

* The DOC can be simply worn out and have little to no chemicals in it due to either age, or the fact that too much oil, coolant, or even unburnt fuel from regening too often washing it out.

* A cracked DOC or DPF

* A slipped injector or valve cam

* A very dirty air filter

* bad driving habits where you are taking it out of gear/coasting too often (this cancels the regen cycles).

* Using a lot of PTO and/or idling it for several hours at a time.

* Having the wrong program in the ECM for that style of truck and/or DPF. Many people change the HP rating for engines incorrectly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Zusky407
May I suggest this nice summary to be written in stone and be made visible to all new comers and guests?
Something like a starting point .
replyreply
(06-20-2016 )Brock Wrote:  I've got a laptop with insite up and running now so it's time to figure this out....

Whenever I slowed down ad the exhaust temp light came on, I would get white smoke from under the hood. smelled like diesel. .. one of my exhaust gaskets for the doser was terrible out so I replaced it. bo smoke but problem still exists.

I'm wondering if the exhaust and constant regen may be related to the vgt code I am getting and am curious about what dbl overdrive said about the sensors...

I've got 2 questions.

To test if the sensors were causing issues from loose connection as stated... could I run a regen and wiggle wires to see if it cuts out anything?

Can I test the vg calibration with the actutor on the turbo? I've seen the videos on how to calibrate it but was wondering if there's any way to know if the calibrations the issue before removal? or do you just start from scratch...
Sorry I'm so late to the show. Lol.
I would just pull the harness and visually inspect it for melted or bare wires, while you have it off you should look at the connection on both the main harness and the dpf harness. Look closely on the main harness side for damage to the male pins if you see any it needs to be replaced with a new connection. DON'T be a tool and cut it and splice it that will only cause more issues down the road. Also look at the sensors for damage too.
On the actuator, you can monitor vgt command position and measured position with insite while driving, they should follow one another fairly close.
You have to remove the actuator to calibrate it no matter what. Just follow Rawze's video on that and pay attention to the part where he talks about the travel of the turbo.
With 91 counts though, I'm betting the actuator or turbo are bad.
Good luck friend. Keep us posted.
replyreply
06-26-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
Quickserve says my turbo code temporarily disables active and passive regen so I may have found my problem with the multiple regen. ... the 91 counts is since I last cleared it a few weeks ago, the code comes up alot ever day when I am loaded and accelerating or climbing hills.

I gotta get on it cause my truck did 5 regen yesterday and they were all around 5.1 to 5.3......
replyreply
06-26-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...c2387.html

Seems odd that it doesn't even say to recalibrate the actuator, but instead update the ecm cal and check for leaks... I must be missing something because what if my cal was up to date (whixh I'm sure it isn't. .. I don't remember the last time I had the ecm files updated) and o have no boost leaks.... where would cummins go from there?

I'll run the actuator install and pressure test my system and look for exhaust leaks tonight.

on insite while driving so far I see my manifold pressure climbing to 60Hg while I'm on hills (empty. .. haven't loaded yet) which I think translates into about 30 psi boost Soni doubt I have a boost leak.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.