Antifreeze
05-10-2019, (Subject: Antifreeze ) 
RE: Antifreeze
(05-10-2019 )sstrong1 Wrote:  ...
Upon further diagnosis he asked me did they vacuum the air out of the engine before replacing the coolant. And for certain the mechanics in North Jersey did not do that. He said give it another week and the air pockets will work it’s way out of the engine. I believe this is the issue I’m having with the loss of coolant. Thanks Guys

Rawze maybe you should look to add this shop in your trusted mechanics network. They seem to be good people and reliable.

Thanks.

I would think not -- a statement like "give it another week" for possible air in the coolant system scares the hell out of me!... Air in the coolant system WILL DESTROY AN ENGINE!!!! -- HE SHOULD HAVE JUMPED ALL OVER THAT AND IMMEDIATELY PULLED A VACUUM ON THE DAMN COOLANT SYSTEM IF THAT IS WHAT HE SUSPECTED!...

Did you have the coolant system pressurized to 20 PSI and let it sit for a while? -- does that person even know HOW to check the egr cooler properly instead of making statements that make no damn sense!!!? -- ---- BY PRESSURIZING THE COOLANT SYSTEM? AND SEE IF THE BACK SIDE OF IT IS GETTING WET? -- if the coolant system was not pressure tested then your doing nothing but pissing in the wind. Unless something got really poorly translated, your post implies on several fronts that this mechanic is not someone I would take my truck to at all.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy
Aw man. No he didn’t have pressure test it. He just said the air would eventually work itself out of the engine.
replyreply
Honestly alotmofmthese mechanics don’t listen. They just whatever they think is best. I’m in PA so I don’t know the area that well
replyreply
(05-10-2019 )sstrong1 Wrote:  Aw man. No he didn’t have pressure test it. He just said the air would eventually work itself out of the engine.

The air will not work its way out and can damage the motor. If you can take the radiator cap off and run the truck up to temperature, takes about an hour, maybe the air pocket will work its way out. Smart thing to do is get this into a shop that has a vacuum pump, drain the coolant and refill using the pump. If you have a compressor, you can purchase an Airlift Kit from Amazon, which would be the smart thing to do, use it in your maintenance program, it is a good tool to have. Actually a must have, and will pay for itself on the first use. I have a small 90 psi Lowes air compressor, it does the job. I had to purchase longer hose, bought hose at Home Depot. Here is the kit I use... https://amzn.to/2Hbx7h2

Here is the pressure test kit I use... https://amzn.to/2VutmMt
Here is the coolant bottle adapter for the ProStar, it is the same one that Snap-On sells. I have no clue which truck you have, so you will need to look up your model of truck. I called one of the mechanics I know at the international dealer, he gave me the correct Snap-On part number and I crossed referenced with Stant.
https://amzn.to/2HfbaOp
I would purchase all of the above, I use all of this yearly, much easier to do myself, and a helluva a lot cheaper than the stealership.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy
Has anybody checked the fluid level in the transmission?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Waterloo , Rawze
Yes. I just had fluid put in the transmission.
replyreply
05-11-2019, (Subject: Antifreeze ) 
(05-10-2019 )sstrong1 Wrote:  Yes. I just had fluid put in the transmission.

Is your transmission air cooled or cooled with coolant? If cooled with coolant, that could be your source of coolant loss, common problem as the truck ages. That is why Moose asked if you have checked the fluid level in the transmission, you would be looking for coolant intrusion into the gear oil.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.