Soot level in oil
03-06-2019, (Subject: Soot level in oil ) 
Soot level in oil
Oil sample says <.1% of soot. Oil is Rotella 15/40 and had about 225 hours on it. Engine is a 2018 X15 still has mandate and about 20,000 miles on it. My question is this, why would I need a bypass filter to catch excess soot if the level is that low? Will that level start to creep up over time?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
03-06-2019, (Subject: Soot level in oil ) 
RE: Soot level in oil
New engine nice and fit also a new engine design maybe they've gotten the thing to run so clean in the cylinders but dosing the hell outa the exhaust with DEF that is doesnt bring alot around in EGR for a reburn just wishful thinking.

i think around 200k and above is where i would watch it closer since the 2250 and 2350 liked to carbon pack themselves to death around that 500-600k mark which also might have to do with neglected Aftertreatments, dirty sensors, 30-40k mile oil changes... ied think you should be able to keep an engine pretty clean with mandate intact with just always doing PMs keep sensors clean/new, change oil on time. its once that 1 item get neglected causing a snowball effect down the line to where you just chase your tail everywhere.
replyreply
03-07-2019, (Subject: Soot level in oil ) 
RE: Soot level in oil
(03-06-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Oil sample says <.1% of soot. Oil is Rotella 15/40 and had about 225 hours on it. Engine is a 2018 X15 still has mandate and about 20,000 miles on it. My question is this, why would I need a bypass filter to catch excess soot if the level is that low? Will that level start to creep up over time?

if you want to run the mandate + it to last past 500k, put a bypass filtration system on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.