Removing an APU
03-08-2019, (Subject: Removing an APU ) 
Removing an APU
The truck that I'm currently driving was an OTR truck before the farmer that I'm driving for bought it. It has a Thermo King APU on it that we do not need. Just to save weight we would like to remove it, and the headache rack from the truck.
I've never dealt with one of these before, I see lines running into the bunk area through the floor and other lines heading to the engine bay. Has anybody ever removed one of these? I've looked for video's but haven't had much luck, if someone knows where I could find some type of tutorial that would be great. I don't know what needs to be plumbed where when I disconnect the lines. Any help is appreciated, thanks
replyreply
RE: Removing an APU
it will be a bit tedius unless you outright just destroy things. another thing is your state might allow you 400-500lbs extra on your gross weight so instead of 80,000 you can go 80,500 without a permit because of the APU.
replyreply
RE: Removing an APU
Its rather simple, disconnect the power wire and ground from the battery, remove any ties for those power wires leading back to the unit

drain the freon, disconnect the freon lines from the evaporator under the bunk, the condenser at the back of the truck, and the filter/dryer. disconnect the wiring from the fan, freeze thermostat, condenser, filter/dryer and brain box. You can then pull all that wiring through the hole in the floor. There is a grey wire running to the controller. If tou remove the 4 screws from the front of it you can remove the faceplate and get access to the screws affixing it to thw wall or cabinet. That grey wire simply unplugs from the control board. You can pull it out of the cab or disconnect it from the brain box. Also there is a heavy guage white wire attached to a stud in the brain box...it has to be removed to unhook the harness from the brain box.

If you have a webasto it will have a wiring harness hooked to it. Disconnect it from either the webasto or brain box. Your choice on leaving or removing it. It weighs about 5lbs. The lines running to the engine are coolant lines. You can shut off the supply at the valves (if installed at the engine) or follow them and remove the fitting and put a plug in their place. They should be ORB fittings. If you dexide to put plugs in place of the valve then you will jave to drain about 5 gallons of coolant.

Remove the top off the unit and you will find lifting hooks on the engine. Use them along with a hoist to lift the unit then remove the 4 bolts hooking it to the frame. Then lost it on craigslist or ebay and someone will buy it.

The holes left by the blower hoses can be plugged with aluminum tape. The hole in the floor can have a peice of aluminum cut and riveted to the floor. Just put some type of sealant between it and the floor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.