T660 - Side Light / Blinker
03-10-2019, (Subject: T660 - Side Light / Blinker ) 
T660 - Side Light / Blinker

Something ain't right. :-/

Wifey-Poo noticed these fender lights (both sides) were burning very dim while parked. Blinkers still worked, but soon after we started getting a fast blinker signal (both sides).

A shop looked at it and suggested that the seats for the steady-burning bulbs (OEM is a two bulb unit / one blinks - one burns steady) needed to be replaced.

The replacement I chose, a Union Pacific LED contraption, is what you see here. Thing is, the steady burning function is still incredibly dim. More than 5 feet away and you can barely see this.

Photo is with headlights on.
I get nothing (zero) with just parking lights on.

Question:
- How can I get a wiring diagram for this?
- If it was your truck, would you take it anywhere other than Kenworth to chase this down?

Two shops without schematics have now looked, albeit briefly. Neither charged me for the quick look, but the second one said, "Man, we just don't have the schematics."

That's why I'm asking.
replyreply
RE: T660 - Side Light / Blinker
Dim light's are usually a sign of poor ground

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
A multimeter is your friend. Also make sure you didn't hook into day time running light circuit. It'll often be half voltage because the lights don't need to be on bright during the day.
replyreply
Got one. Even picked up some wire-piercing probes for it so that I could chase this down myself. But, I intend to put the truck in the shop a few weeks from now for annual inspection. It's a good shop. I like them and could have it done there but I don't think they have the KW wiring diagrams. I don't know if that's a big deal or not. I just know that one shop told me it is.
replyreply
(03-10-2019 )JKBowman Wrote:  Got one. Even picked up some wire-piercing probes for it so that I could chase this down myself. But, I intend to put the truck in the shop a few weeks from now for annual inspection. It's a good shop. I like them and could have it done there but I don't think they have the KW wiring diagrams. I don't know if that's a big deal or not. I just know that one shop told me it is.

"wire-piercing probes" = corroded out wiring in a year or 2 everywhere you do that. Just a reminder.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman , Magard
(03-10-2019 )JKBowman Wrote:  
Something ain't right. :-/

Wifey-Poo noticed these fender lights (both sides) were burning very dim while parked. Blinkers still worked, but soon after we started getting a fast blinker signal (both sides).

A shop looked at it and suggested that the seats for the steady-burning bulbs (OEM is a two bulb unit / one blinks - one burns steady) needed to be replaced.

The replacement I chose, a Union Pacific LED contraption, is what you see here. Thing is, the steady burning function is still incredibly dim. More than 5 feet away and you can barely see this.

Photo is with headlights on.
I get nothing (zero) with just parking lights on.

Question:
- How can I get a wiring diagram for this?
- If it was your truck, would you take it anywhere other than Kenworth to chase this down?

Two shops without schematics have now looked, albeit briefly. Neither charged me for the quick look, but the second one said, "Man, we just don't have the schematics."

That's why I'm asking.

When mine did this it was always a poor fit of the bulb to the socket. I always had to adjust the contacts on the bulbs and then put them in and take them out a couple of time to get a good connection. They really aren't a waterproof housing and are in a terrible location for getting blasted with water. Contacts in the socket like to corrode. Get a good contact on the bulb, make sure they work right, then use some dielectric grease on the connection and around the seal. Mine were never "marker lights" they only blinked both bulbs with the blinker.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman
Thanks, Squish. I think you just saved me some money.

You wrote:
Quote:Mine were never "marker lights" they only blinked both bulbs with the blinker.

I can't explain the dim, steady-on illumination that my wife described in the OEM two-bulb. Likewise, I can't explain the dim, steady-on illumination pictured in these LEDs. But since reading your post I've been noticing other T660s. I'm running I-5 tonight and so far I haven't seen a single truck with this on like a marker light.

I still think I have an issue. It's this dim steady-on. But I don't think it's anything that will cause me to fail my inspection. We'll see...

And thx to you also, Rawze. You're the second person to warn me about that. I'm going to take the advice and not use it.
replyreply
03-11-2019, (Subject: T660 - Side Light / Blinker ) 
When I put led's in mine they always glowed dim. The resistance of the led's is so low the bleed power through them. Switching back to incandescent fixed this problem.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman
03-11-2019, (Subject: T660 - Side Light / Blinker ) 
Never pierce the wire. If you must, back probe the next connector in line. That's pushing your probe in the back side of the connector thru the weather packing or safer yet, learn how to pull the plug apart and slide the weather packing out to do your probing. Then silicone seal the weather packing back in when done.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman , barf

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.