GlowShift boost gauge response
03-17-2019, (Subject: GlowShift boost gauge response ) 
RE: GlowShift boost gauge response
[/quote]
What did you run from intake manifold port to the gauge -
if it's tube then gauge is just regular manometer
[/quote]

It's a tube...although a very $hitty one at best. It's ran about as factory as it can get, so hopefully it stays intact for the most part.
replyreply
(03-17-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Glowshift and autometer are Chinese garbage. Buy speedhut custom gauges. I just bought a pyro and a boost from them. They are no doubt more expensive but they are made in USA and the quality is obviously far superior.

-The GS gauges are priced about double what they are most likely worth, but for the few dollars spent hopefully they provide a decent read out. They've already been installed, so only time will tell how they make out. If the pyro stays as accurate as it is currently, it will be good. Now, the boost...its basically linked to the intake manifold directly since this one has the tube to measure pressure rather than a sensor. Minus the factory calibration and (I believe) the stepper motor part of it, the read out in theory should be fairly accurate. I'll hook up Insite and see what is the difference from the GS gauge to the IMAP readout.

- I'll have to check out Speedhut in the future if these decide to tank.

.....Now if I could just cut a window in the side of this MF'n HPFP to see the shape it in at all times lmao!
replyreply
(03-17-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(03-17-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Glowshift and autometer are Chinese garbage. Buy speedhut custom gauges. I just bought a pyro and a boost from them. They are no doubt more expensive but they are made in USA and the quality is obviously far superior.

-The GS gauges are priced about double what they are most likely worth, but for the few dollars spent hopefully they provide a decent read out. They've already been installed, so only time will tell how they make out. If the pyro stays as accurate as it is currently, it will be good. Now, the boost...its basically linked to the intake manifold directly since this one has the tube to measure pressure rather than a sensor. Minus the factory calibration and (I believe) the stepper motor part of it, the read out in theory should be fairly accurate. I'll hook up Insite and see what is the difference from the GS gauge to the IMAP readout.

- I'll have to check out Speedhut in the future if these decide to tank.

.....Now if I could just cut a window in the side of this MF'n HPFP to see the shape it in at all times lmao!

There is no stepper motor in these gauges. They will work without power supply. Google Bourdon gauge.
Pyro is simple ampere meter. Thermocouple producing really small electrical potential so bad connection can affect accuracy. Sensing element in thermocouple is on very tip of the probe. Make sure it touches to the manifold to provide real temperature.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
(03-17-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Glowshift and autometer are Chinese garbage....

I have seen hundreds of pyro and boost gauges. Here is my own conclusions based on seeing them in people's trucks ...

Gloshift,.. Chineese or not? unknown,.. They are made by the same ppl that make MaxTow gauges.,. very rare for anyone to have issue with one if installed properly that I have ever seen. Only time I have seen people who did have issues with them, they over-torqued the mounting brackets putting needle/face into a mechanical bind. that or they accidently twist the face ring and put the push-button that changes color into a mechanical bind. - Like I said though,.. I have not really seen people have issue with them when installed correctly. the ones in my own truck now have over a million miles on them and are still accurate.

Autometer,... Only a few I have met say they liked them,.. but many more I have met have had issue with them. They are also over-priced as hell for the quality they offer,.. but that is only my opinion. They are also very susceptible to electrical noise.

Factory boost/pyro gauges -- Inaccurate pyro, too much lag to tell what going on. Boost,.. 3-4 seconds lag on most of them and read very lazy compared to actual pressure measurements during response changes. -- Can be mis-leading and will not show cavitation or other problems of that type.

Other brands? -- Not seen them much.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , dhirocz
(03-15-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  13 Cascadia w/ ISX....everything in factory form. Just installed the GlowShift boost/pyro gauges and had a question...

- How responsive are the GlowShiftboost gauges?

gloshift boost gauge that comes with small hose quite responsive. Will show needle jumpy if u have chatter problems. needle itself is mechanical not electric.
replyreply
(03-17-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  There is no stepper motor in these gauges. They will work without power supply. Google Bourdon gauge.
Pyro is simple ampere meter. Thermocouple producing really small electrical potential so bad connection can affect accuracy. Sensing element in thermocouple is on very tip of the probe. Make sure it touches to the manifold to provide real temperature.
Never tried applying pressure to the boost gauge without power, or heat to the pyro without power either. The pyro will actually do a sweep before it reads out, then return to '0' once the key is off (which is why I thought stepper). The boost does not sweep, so it may very well just be mechanical with power for the lighting.
replyreply
03-18-2019, (Subject: GlowShift boost gauge response ) 
(03-17-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  Never tried applying pressure to the boost gauge without power, or heat to the pyro without power either. The pyro will actually do a sweep before it reads out, then return to '0' once the key is off (which is why I thought stepper). The boost does not sweep, so it may very well just be mechanical with power for the lighting.

yes, pyro is electrical. It sweeps to zero itself out. Boost is mechanical on glowshift w small hose, but is electric on the Maxtow boost gauge that has the electronic pressure sensor.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I used autometer factory match gauges and Ive had no issues with them for the last 2 years. Had some credit available at summit. Picked up a commercial vehicle filtermag while I was at it.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
Today was the first day out with the new GS gauges. They seem to be all good so far. Pyro is within 20-30 degrees of my digital temp gun (tested it up to about 450), and the boost is actually much more responsive than anticipated. Still hadn't had a chance compare it to Insite, so I don't have a base to check it's accurateness, but again, very responsive.

What's nuts is to look at the boost the cruise control tries to use in order to maintain the speed. Hell, even if you want to bump a mph or 2, the cruise will easily pull 10-15 psi that quick just to make it there asap, and thats on flat ground at sea level. I can def see why you guys that run varied elevations would stay waaayyy away from cruise control.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.