GlowShift boost gauge response
03-18-2019, (Subject: GlowShift boost gauge response ) 
RE: GlowShift boost gauge response
(03-18-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  Today was the first day out with the new GS gauges. They seem to be all good so far. Pyro is within 20-30 degrees of my digital temp gun (tested it up to about 450), and the boost is actually much more responsive than anticipated. Still hadn't had a chance compare it to Insite, so I don't have a base to check it's accurateness, but again, very responsive.

What's nuts is to look at the boost the cruise control tries to use in order to maintain the speed. Hell, even if you want to bump a mph or 2, the cruise will easily pull 10-15 psi that quick just to make it there asap, and thats on flat ground at sea level. I can def see why you guys that run varied elevations would stay waaayyy away from cruise control.

cruise control is your enemy. A decent driver that drives by their boost gauge can beat the pants off of the cruise fuel mileage.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-04-2019, (Subject: GlowShift boost gauge response ) 
Just to follow up on the GlowShift gauges installed about 3 months ago...

They seem to be working well. Both gauges are accurate within a couple percent when I would check them against another source. For the money, they are definitely worth it. Hell, with the fuel savings from driving off of them, you could purchase a pair a week and still gave money to spend lol.

- Now, they haven't been 'perfect.' As of lately the pyro occasionally likes to walk up the dial and max out. A light finger tap will allow it to return to normal (haven't investigated into the cause any further yet). Every once in awhile the boost will get a little jumpy..almost as if the motor driving the needle is tired of staying in the 2-10psi range lol.

Point being, if this is the only issues experienced in the last 30k miles, then I'd certainly buy them again. This rough a$$, 183" WB, daycab Cascadia, combined with lovely gulf south highways may very well be the cause of all this, ha!
replyreply
sounds like maybe u need to check the wiring. I've had mine a million miles now.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Im one who has autometer gauges. I had some credit to spend at summit so I picked those up in mcdonough when I picked up my filtermags. I can admit, they are generally very sensitive to bad grounds or electrical noise, but electrical gauges usually are.

I had an issue with my pyrometer, which was fixed by merely pulling the fuse it was on, cleaning it and reinstalling it. Other than that, no problem.

The boost gauge has worked flawless, but its also mechanical.

Alot of gauges nowadays are made offshore or locally using offshore components. I havent used other brands, but I can tell you that quality varies between product lines. Autometer procomps will generally provide higher failure resistance than something like an older sport comp. I have factory match gauges (fit into the dead spots in my dash like stock so no drilling) and have had them for 2 1/2 years with no issue.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
Are y'all drilling and taping into exhaust behind the turbo or hose clamping the probe to the exhaust manifold?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Clamping to the manifold measures heat accumulation...putting it in the exhaust stream measures the temperature of the exhaust gas. I clamped mine to the manifold.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
07-05-2019, (Subject: GlowShift boost gauge response ) 
(07-04-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  sounds like maybe u need to check the wiring...

Yea, I'm going to check it out. It has just started doing this about a week or so ago and has happened maybe 5-6 times. Seems (at least at face value) that the gauge may be the issue since it returns to normal when tapped (literally a light finger tap). Haven't done any wiggle testing or broke out the Fluke as of yet...

(07-04-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  ...a million miles...

Hopefully one day I can say that about this 2350...all the attention it gets, maybe it will return the favor lol! Of coarse, that would be pushing it nearly twice its currently rated service life..
replyreply
also might want to loosen the retaining brace, re-seat the gauge + ensure the face is not twisted. People make them too tight and it screws up the needle response, etc. Also if the face plate gets twisted easily. This usually often makes the push button sticky if it gets twisted out of whack far enough.

Not trying to promote them , just stating what I have seen here...
I have seriously installed hundreds of them. Have not come across one yet that was bad, unless someone did something to it to make it that way. Did i just get real lucky? - I did learn early on that you have to be careful installing them not to over tighten them or twist the face.

Though I will say I have not installed any in the past 6 months or so. possible change in quality?

replyreply
they did change their pyro probe no longer that small 1/16 or so gauge one now its about 1/4 or better thick.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.