Some advice for fellow isx owners
03-16-2019, (Subject: Some advice for fellow isx owners ) 
Some advice for fellow isx owners
This actually applies to ANY turbo Diesel engine, I would say. Here is a true story of a catastrophic engine failure (that could have been prevented). I own(ed) a 2010 isx 871, had a reman turbo installed last year. It failed last month, seals went out, bearings etc. So I called the shop that changed it (10 months before) they said yup still under warranty etc, we’ll come out & change it. Mechanic came with new turbo, proceeded to change it etc all good...pay attention this is where it gets good! I asked him “how do you clean all that oil out of the charge air cooler?” (It pushed a lot of engine oil in there). He said “it will be ok”. Well he got it done, I started it up and as soon as I started driving it the engine RAN AWAY. Tach goes to 3,000rpm and it was past that! I couldn’t stop it or shut it off. It ran like that for probably 10-15 seconds until it self destructed. Fan blades came apart, went through radiator, melted all six injector tips, melted through an exhaust valve. The shop ended up putting a new head, injectors, radiator etc on it. Sooo... if you ever have a turbo fail make sure all the oil & junk is cleaned out of the pipes and CAC.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman , Rawze , fargonaz , barf , flatbed94kid , Waterloo , Tootall
RE: Some advice for fellow isx owners
Did the shop pay for the repairs? If they did was it a fight or did they just step up and fix it?
replyreply
(03-16-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  Did the shop pay for the repairs? If they did was it a fight or did they just step up and fix it?

The shop DID pay for the tow and the repairs, I didn’t have to fight with them. Thank god.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver
Good. Everybody makes mistakes. What is done about them is what separates the men from the boys.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver , Pd6cas2
03-25-2019, (Subject: Some advice for fellow isx owners ) 
Update: the owner at shop (same guy that changed turbo) originally said he’d cover it all. But I got a bill today, it was for towing and new fan and gaskets, about $1,500. Is what it is...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.