Steering Shaft - Up/Down
03-16-2019, (Subject: Steering Shaft - Up/Down ) 
Steering Shaft - Up/Down
Here's a pic of my steering shaft passing through the firewall.

Here's a quick video of what I found today.
https://youtu.be/hb6cg-7yCMw

There is nothing noticeable about this up and down movement from the steering wheel. I don't have a rattle or shake. Potholes, annoying as they are, don't produce anything unusual. Also, the steering column is solid as can be moving left to right.

My plan is to drop her off at a shop tomorrow. I'm on my way home to Florida now. Dropping her off and making it home will mean about 600 more miles and I feel safe with that, but I thought I'd ask here first.

What ya think? Entire assembly or could it be that all I need is a new boot?
replyreply
RE: Steering Shaft - Up/Down
I don't know what they call that piece, yours looks a lot more rubbery than mine was. On my T800 its some sort of composite bushing flange thing?? On mine it wasn't really a safety issue in the short term. If you leave it like that you'll eventually wear out other components.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Thanks, tree. I've searched everything I can think of related to "Kenworth steering bushing" and I can't find a name either.

I also still don't know if the up and down movement is normal when the bushing/flange is missing or busted.

The steering continues to function flawlessly. I just ran Jackson to Atlanta and couldn't detect a single thing out of wack.
replyreply
03-17-2019, (Subject: Steering Shaft - Up/Down ) 
everythin broken and plate cracked. replace all or get DOT fine if they see this.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JKBowman
03-21-2019, (Subject: Steering Shaft - Up/Down ) 
I'm just closing this out for future reference.

Here she is fixed.

Part #: R131014 -- Steering Bushing -- $115.06

That's all that was required to fix this and the truck has now passed DOT. Thanks again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Waterloo
03-21-2019, (Subject: Steering Shaft - Up/Down ) 
(03-21-2019 )JKBowman Wrote:  I'm just closing this out for future reference.

that looks a heck of a lot better.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.