Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure
03-20-2019, (Subject: Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure ) 
Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure
Here we go again with more emmisions junk, replaced my bad egr and did successful forced regen. Then 4 miles down the road 3138 came up. I replaced both sensors double checked the wiring and connection, all good there but this darn code keeps coming back putting everything into derate. Anyone else had this issue yet ?
replyreply
03-20-2019, (Subject: Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure ) 
RE: Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure
FAULT CODE 3138 -- Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation Outlet Pressure - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect.

your red cry-baby is trying to tell you that the EGR pressure is not changing with engine conditions. ...

Possibly...

* The egr valve is stuck

* The EGR pressure sensor itself is reading ok, but is not changing with engine load (bad sensor or someone has attempted to bypass it with a resistor, etc).

* corrosion in the wiring harness.

* The EGR piping is blocked somewhere.

* severe restriction in the EGR cooler.

============

To reset the fault after the problem has been fixed, it says to let engine idle for 5 minutes, then shut off for 1 minute, then turn key back on without cranking the truck and wait another 1 minute before performing a "clear all faults" in Insite.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ironhead , hhow55
Followed that procedure and still about 4 Miles code popped back up, could a bad delta p cause this reading ?
replyreply
(03-20-2019 )Ironhead Wrote:  Followed that procedure and still about 4 Miles code popped back up, could a bad delta p cause this reading ?

possibly. Also check the circuit feeding the sensor for blockage.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ironhead
Well replaced the delta p as well, cleared the codes and popped back up after 8 miles this time. Still the same 3138 all the egr tubes look and sensors have been replaced, took all my lunch money ready to burn this thing to the ground
replyreply
Ok so idk what gremlins I chased away or what but swapped the 2 pressure switches cleared the codes and was able to drive 78 miles and still no check engine light or derate, I'll take it as long as itll let me
replyreply
03-21-2019, (Subject: Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure ) 
Spoke too soon gremlin is back as a 2554 exhaust gas pressure 1 code, it idles fine, forced regen it surges and rolling down the road at 63 mph every once in a while when I let off the throttle it does a chug thing.
replyreply
03-21-2019, (Subject: Code 3138 engine exhaust gas recirculation outlet pressure ) 
(03-21-2019 )Ironhead Wrote:  Spoke too soon gremlin is back as a 2554 exhaust gas pressure 1 code, it idles fine, forced regen it surges and rolling down the road at 63 mph every once in a while when I let off the throttle it does a chug thing.

sounds like maybe one of the 2 sensors you have there that you swapped is bad?.

Swapping sensors around should be done with caution as well. Many look the same style/color but may not be compatible. In the case of the EGR pressure sensor and the Exhaust gas pressure sensors,.. they may be the same part#'s on some enignes. Before assuming though, a person should always look on quickserv.com and ensure they have the right part#'s/are the same before swapping them around.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ironhead
I'll double check that, kw in Columbus Ohio is where I got them, they both are new and tech said they are the same, but it's a stealership lol
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.