Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3
03-26-2019, (Subject: Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3 ) 
Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3
I have a Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3 that was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the truck. It had roughly 20K on the truck after total rebuild. Crank polished, liners, pistons, heads, push tubes, injectors... The truck smoked a fair bit when starting out but would for the most part clear up like they are supposed to. It gradually began losing power and started smoking more after 15K miles of me having the truck. I had the overhead ran and it seemed to get a little worse. It began smoking considerably more within a few thousand miles. The white smoke quit clearing up and the fuel mileage dropped. It stunk like raw fuel and began making a BAP BAP BAP (sounds like a machine gun) sound when under a hard pull. It seemed to have a popping sound to it as well. I was told it was a bad cam. I had 3 different mechanics look at it and they all had different ideas. I decided to change the cam and see if anything else showed up in the meantime. There was a bent push tube that was discovered in the process of changing the cam. Everything goes back together fine. It rolls out of the garage and the popping sound to the exhaust is gone but otherwise everything is still the same. Same white smoke, same lack of power, same BAP BAP BAP noise under a load, everything is the same with a new cam. Fuel pressure was checked and it sustains up to 240# and the anaroid valve is good. I took the truck to a different mechanic, he says its injectors and that will fix it. The injectors had 300 miles on them but were not "cummins" injectors so the injectors were changed 3 times now in 35K miles and that changed nothing. Between the two trips to a garage, we tried to haul a load with it and the turbo went out of it so that has been replaced as well. Pretty much everything has been replaced and it still runs for crap and can't be used. Do any of the guys on here have any idea what could be wrong with the engine? I did notice that it seems to have a bunch of blow-by now. I have spent thousands on this truck and nobody can seem to figure it out.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
replyreply
03-26-2019, (Subject: Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3 ) 
RE: Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3
Couple things off the cuff;

Jakes?
Correct cam follower gaskets?
Correct static time / key?
STC valve & oil lines?

Can you verify what it was built to (CPL) and what parts were used?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-27-2019, (Subject: Cummins NTC 400 Big Cam 3 ) 
A quick test of the STC valve is to cap off the fuel pressure signal line from the fuel pump and apply air to the valve with the engine running. You'll notice a very obvious change in overhead noise if it's working.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Its my understanding that Mr. Hag knows that engine well. Maybe a trip to his shop some time with it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Have all the rubber fuel lines ever been changed? They deteriorate over time and suck air but won't leak fuel. BC3 will have static timing and no STC. White smoke usually comes from retarded timing on these engines. Once they warm up the smoke goes away.

Premco makes very good injectors for 855s. My brothers truck was acting similar. He had PT pump sent away for a rebuild. Solved problem. Not hard to remove pump. Often the seals go bad inside the pump. New seals are bio diesel USLD compatible.

Add duel fuel line kit to the engine. 25 HP more and 1/4 mpg better fuel efficiency.

Good luck.

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.