Low mile 871 repair or rebuild
03-26-2019, (Subject: Low mile 871 repair or rebuild ) 
Low mile 871 repair or rebuild
I’ve got a 09 cm871 in the shop right now with 60k original miles. Best I can tell is it has a broken intake valve on number 6 cylinder. Naturally everything else is perfect. It still has the factory mandate functioning. No head gasket or coolant issues. It obviously is going to need a head, but would it be worth it to pull the liners and reset liner heights? Trying to get it repaired as timely as possible but I’d prefer to only have it apart once.

Thanks for the input
replyreply
RE: Low mile 871 repair or rebuild
Liner height would be the determining factor for me

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(03-26-2019 )hhow55 Wrote:  Liner height would be the determining factor for me
I understand that. But I know its not gonna be the optimal .014.
replyreply
depends what its use is. If its gonna run lower power hauling lighter loads slap a head on it and count your money until it has issues. You know how to fix it so if it goes fix it properly. If its pulls heavy and is a larger power engine ide tear it and cut it. it will sit in the ~10 thou range probably now you might get a few years.

I would not get new pistons. Just get a set of liners, cut it, then re ring the original pistons (minus the one that ate a valve). Throw a bearing set and seal kit at it with a new head and move along If it was getting cut.

EDIT

i just read only wanting to take it apart once. then you should cut it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Tootall , Rig Wrench , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.