Excess blowby
05-17-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
RE: Excess blowby
(05-17-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  The truck is home now, intact. The problem is worse, so at this point the truck is off the road.
With 665k on the engine I'm going to assume it's inframe time....

Anyway you look at it, the head will probably have to come off and patching the problem isn't going to help in the long run.

If it is a cracked piston or ring I don't want to stress it with a cutout test.
One way or another I have to find the source of the problem and fix it right.

If piston crack isn't big enough cut out test will not help. Then it will get worst. Any excessive smoke from exhaust?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201605/post_1794_1463530413_d95988045134b8ed3fa0d5782b0f0f01.jpg
replyreply
Actually I was thinking he could kill just 1 cylinder at a time and see which one caused the most decrease in blow-by, would that work or am I thinking wrong?
replyreply
No smoke from exhaust. No haze, even at 2000 rpm. (Static testing only)
It's all coming out of the breather.

The truck still runs like gang busters. I'm just not willing to punch a hole in the block because I know it's not 100% right. Keep pushing it and we will have an 18,000 lb yard ornament!
Reaaly need to look inside the bores.

We're going to just bite the bullet and go back to the locker room for half time.
Tomorrow is another day, and by the grace of God we are still above ground with the good sense to figure it out.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(05-17-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Actually I was thinking he could kill just 1 cylinder at a time and see which one caused the most decrease in blow-by, would that work or am I thinking wrong?

I will try that tomorrow, shouldn't be too stressful.

replyreply
I also remember , that my coolant reservoir would pressure up.
That's a sure sign of a bad head gasket, or maybe a head gasket is bad on your engine compressor.
Try checking your air compressor first, by disconnecting the air line that goes to the air dryer, and see if this does the trick with the blowby. I think it would be possible for coolant to be finding its way to the compressor cylinders. .
Then pressure test the coolant reservoir, with engine at normal operating temp, to see if the coolant system on engine is pressuring up, this would be a sure sign of bad head gasket on motor.
Good luck

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
05-19-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
(05-17-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Actually I was thinking he could kill just 1 cylinder at a time and see which one caused the most decrease in blow-by, would that work or am I thinking wrong?

I ran the cut out test today, one at a time. Narrowed it down to #3
It's mostly steam, far more than the other day.
Going to gearheads shop to get it straightened out Saturday.

replyreply
05-19-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
(05-19-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  

If you take short video how it smoking now and pics what is wrong inside it will be great troubleshooting help.
replyreply
05-20-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
(05-17-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  I also remember , that my coolant reservoir would pressure up.
That's a sure sign of a bad head gasket, or maybe a head gasket is bad on your engine compressor.
Try checking your air compressor first, by disconnecting the air line that goes to the air dryer, and see if this does the trick with the blowby. I think it would be possible for coolant to be finding its way to the compressor cylinders. .
Then pressure test the coolant reservoir, with engine at normal operating temp, to see if the coolant system on engine is pressuring up, this would be a sure sign of bad head gasket on motor.
Good luck

Good job hhow55.

Hopefully in2trux will be back on the road soon.
replyreply
05-22-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
(05-19-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  

Look on the brighter side in2trux, at least it's not snowing, and we all know how much you love the white stuff. lol

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.