Introduction and Question
04-17-2019, (Subject: Introduction and Question ) 
Introduction and Question
Hi Everyone

I have been driving on/off for the last 10 years or so. The last couple years I have been working as a company driver hauling infield fluid with some highway hauls in the oilfield in SE Saskatchewan, CA. I have decided to make the leap into O/O world and am looking at purchasing a used 2013 KW t800. It is a fleet truck with maintenance records since new.

Link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/sas...nFlag=true

Because of the application and environment the truck will be operating in I am looking to mandate it with a local shop. Shop does hardware with a remote tune from a large company based out of montreal. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and I have read many of the popular threads. Any insight or advice from the more experienced here is greatly appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Introduction and Question
Call up Unilever in Edmonton ish area he does remote too, stay away from that montreal company there no better then PukeDits theubwere actually partners at one point sharing they're shi#t tunes
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , HES
And ynot is not the only member with this opinion. If you don't want to blow up your engine then stay away from that Montreal company.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: HES
I'll point ya too this guys thread talking bout the montreal company

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=4356
replyreply
Thanks guys I have pm'd unilever. Anyone ever have a local shop do the hardware part of the mandate and have unilever remote tune it in their shop. I am looking to purchase insite and an adapter if someone knows a good place to buy from.
replyreply
(04-17-2019 )HES Wrote:  Thanks guys I have pm'd unilever. Anyone ever have a local shop do the hardware part of the mandate and have unilever remote tune it in their shop. I am looking to purchase insite and an adapter if someone knows a good place to buy from.

The ebay inline 5 or 6 work ok. I think most come with insite. If I were you I would do the hands on work for the de mandate yourself. Unless you can keep a close eye on whoever you hire to do it. If things aren't hollowed out completely you will end up eating turbos and other problems from heat reflection.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
04-26-2019, (Subject: Introduction and Question ) 
So I have gone ahead and purchased that 2013 kw t8. I did my due diligence and I think the truck is a good used truck. It has however only had 400km put on it in the last year. I am going to take grease, torque wrench, tools, def fluid, oil (same brand used as previous life), coolant when I go to pick it up for 5 hr trip home. Is there anything else I should look at for a truck thats been sitting. I test drove it and got it up to temp and it drove good.
replyreply
(04-26-2019 )HES Wrote:  So I have gone ahead and purchased that 2013 kw t8. I did my due diligence and I think the truck is a good used truck. It has however only had 400km put on it in the last year. I am going to take grease, torque wrench, tools, def fluid, oil (same brand used as previous life), coolant when I go to pick it up for 5 hr trip home. Is there anything else I should look at for a truck thats been sitting. I test drove it and got it up to temp and it drove good.

Pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cam + do a valve adjusement.

Change the oil 3 times at 3,000 mile intervals to flush it of all the years of soot buildup from the previous owner(s).

Replace the guts of the fuel pump.

Take steps to get the soot out of the oil. (de-mandate or bypass system).

An EGR Tune-up, replace all engine sensors that tend to get soot-packed.

Do a forced regen to see if it performs it properly and it does not take longer than normal to heat up, etc.

All new shocks, a thourough inspection of the suspension, driveline, alignment, re-torque all hub bearings, king pin inspection, 5th wheel inspection/adjustment with test king pin to ensure there is less than 3.8" play in it, and I can think of about 500 other things before considering a truck freight-worthy.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-26-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 )HES Wrote:  So I have gone ahead and purchased that 2013 kw t8. I did my due diligence and I think the truck is a good used truck. It has however only had 400km put on it in the last year. I am going to take grease, torque wrench, tools, def fluid, oil (same brand used as previous life), coolant when I go to pick it up for 5 hr trip home. Is there anything else I should look at for a truck thats been sitting. I test drove it and got it up to temp and it drove good.

Pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cam + do a valve adjusement.

Change the oil 3 times at 3,000 mile intervals to flush it of all the years of soot buildup from the previous owner(s).

Replace the guts of the fuel pump.

Take steps to get the soot out of the oil. (de-mandate or bypass system).

An EGR Tune-up, replace all engine sensors that tend to get soot-packed.

Do a forced regen to see if it performs it properly and it does not take longer than normal to heat up, etc.

All new shocks, a thourough inspection of the suspension, driveline, alignment, re-torque all hub bearings, king pin inspection, 5th wheel inspection/adjustment with test king pin to ensure there is less than 3.8" play in it, and I can think of about 500 other things before considering a truck freight-worthy.

Thanks Rawze that gives me a good start on some things to get done right away. Hoping to pick it up this weekend it is having a berkeley 5" pump put on it right now.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.