Oil Sample
05-22-2019, (Subject: Oil Sample ) 
Oil Sample
Been having a oil problem.. After about 8,000 miles my Base is dropping hard and fast.. After it drops i start burning oil and it causes regen issues(Face plugs my doc).This is a 2014 2350 with 580k miles now.. Any idea on what is causing my base to drop? What could i do to help?

./uploads/201905/post_901_1558502268_e943750cef49e6ed44fa27367ffc1098.png
replyreply
RE: Oil Sample
whats the hp, torque, and rear ratios of the truck> - more infor may help.

What kind of oil(s)?, etc.

Any addatives?

btw. viscosity is also falling off. Have you tried using a gallon of gear lube at every oil change like recommended on here?

Have you done EGR tune-up? etc.?

What is your fuel milage to the pump typically?

what kinds of operations? mostly city? highway? flat? mountainous? -- Light or heavy? etc.

Also, its kinda normal for cummins engine to use a gallon of oil as the oil starts to wear out. Its well known, especially as the engine gets older.

Maybe provide a screen shot of your regen history? - That would tell a lot too.

Maybe some photos of the face of DOC and DPF when they start to act up? - That could reveal a lot too.

Have you pressurized the whole engine (not just the CAC) and checked it for boost and other leaks?. Checked the Doser, cleaned its nozzle?, checked it for leakages?.
Have you checked the valve guides for leakage? - this is common problem as well that cause what you describe. Maybe disconnect exhaust off back of turbo and hold sheet of white paper behind turbo and have someone crank engine to see what spatters onto paper when it cranks up after it sits a while. Maybe pull exhaust manifold and see if valve stems are wet woth oil.

When is the last time the overhead valves were adjusted and overhead cams inspected?

-- I.E.> Its an engine and things wear out. At some point, you have to take things apart extensively to find out how badly. Running around with an engine in an unknown state and health = problems that are difficult to solve and plague someone. a truck owner should ALWAYS KNOW to some medium extent what condition their engine is in,.. otherwise they will be at the mercy of fate, and that is no way to run a trucking business reliably. Being pro-active and tearing into things yourself regularly is that prevention.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
ECM says its a 475 but engine is rated for 400. Doesn't feel like 475. Its got 3.36 rears if i remb right with a 13 speed. (Sample 6)On the last sample i didn't add any just to see what would happen. This sample(6) i added 1 gallon of Lucas in and it seems to be holding im at 6k miles haven't added any.
On samples 2-5 i used oil additive from primrose for the oil.
I haven't tried gear oil in this truck but i did use it on my last truck. I did my EGR tune up a couple months ago
This is Rotella 15 40. My AVG MPG is 6.4 running speed limit.
I Pull refer in the midwest mostly highways
I Pressured tested the CAC n boots not the whole engine. Got no idea how to do that or where to get the tools to even do something like that.
both Dosers are new DEF and Fuel.

Ill test with white paper and turbo.
I've checked the cams myself and they are all in good looking order. I haven't had too many issues out of this truck mainly just DPF problems and small sensors here and there.
As far as when this started i with the constant regens i took apart my DOC and DPF and power washed them. The DOC had a strong smell of oil in it.

Wasn't sure how Gear oil is gonna work with a DPF system intact:P Might give it a go
replyreply
./uploads/201905/post_901_1558536975_8b13c1cddf9f031dcd1564a25e7715e6.png
Here is regen history
replyreply
(05-22-2019 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ...
i took apart my DOC and DPF and power washed them

doing this will destroy them and their ability to function properly. Seen it plenty of times. I have no idea why people think they can get away with this. - Perhaps some mis-leading/bad information off places like ttr or some other garbage-dump truck tuning forums or social media.

as far as gear oil goes, use a GL-4 instead of a GL-5 if your concerned about the sulfides and the DOC. Sta-lube makes a decent one...

https://amzn.to/2YF4gYs

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-22-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ...
i took apart my DOC and DPF and power washed them

doing this will destroy them and their ability to function properly. Seen it plenty of times. I have no idea why people think they can get away with this. - Perhaps some mis-leading/bad information off places like ttr or some other garbage-dump truck tuning forums or social media.

as far as gear oil goes, use a GL-4 instead of a GL-5 if your concerned about the sulfides and the DOC. Sta-lube makes a decent one...

https://amzn.to/2YF4gYs

Be honest i did it because i don't wanna spend more money on a new DOC. i plan on deleteing it here soon.:P
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.