Ecm just failed
04-22-2019, (Subject: Ecm just failed ) 
Ecm just failed
Soo it's been a long time since the last time I posted on this site, had a lot of work stuff going on and just been busy keeping the truck up and running, and then I decided to rebuild the engine and I got it all back in the truck and now the ecm failed ( I think) put on a lot of new parts and the only thing I can think of why it's the ecm is the fuel transfer pump doesn't trun on and my dash is showing dash lines on the hours and the odometer and trip meter, I've try connecting to the ecm through the engine harness and I get 5204 on insite and I know the software and inline 6 is good, I used them earlier in the day for a buddy's truck and didn't have a issue...

So the question is how do I setup a new ecm without any dada from the old one, I did have mommaburt tune in late last year, I don't know if they keep any info from who they tune( don't care if they do just a question and maybe they don't what to answer ) but I will have to have them tune it and again
replyreply
RE: Ecm just failed
Double check the ecm power wire from the battery....maybe the ecm isnt getting power? Or tge plugs are not fully seated?
replyreply
If it is a paccar product (pete, kw), check the in-line fuse down at the battery box that feeds the ECM.

You could also try tapping the top of the ecm with a small hammer (try not to put dents in it though) and see if the electric pump suddenly starts working (bad ECM).

You can usually get an ECM pre-programmed at the stealersh$it with all the truck make/model settings in it as a last resort.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Power and ground connections as Rawze suggested. Make sure the 9-pin has power. I'd also try to connect via the 3-pin 1939 on the engine harness and if you have access to, try and bench top harness connect to make sure it is the ECM before you throw that kind of money at it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I did check the in-line fuse and the power wires and I did try the 3 pin 1939 and got the same message from insite, I'm going to try the hammer deal and I did talk with peterbilt today and got a wire diegram for the truck
replyreply
Unplug the oem harness, and with key on test for voltage at the ECM supply pin. Cummins insite should have your wiring diagram for the PIN number/location. THIS WAY you know for sure if the ECM is getting power or not. The fuse could be good put the wire be corroded: if it’s bad enough the fuel primer pump will not activate and yoy will have abs and check engine lights.
replyreply
if you have the same laptop we used when we flashed it the image and template will be saved on that laptop
replyreply
Do you have a similar truck (CM????) you can swap ECMs right quick?
replyreply
Just a one man operation and one truck, but I did find the problem on the chassis harness a wire got pinched and broke when I set the engine back in, got it running today now just to get the hood and bummer back on and then look at the wheel bearing tommorow
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Kid Rock , Moose

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.