2017 cummins X15 efficiency series
04-22-2019, (Subject: 2017 cummins X15 efficiency series ) 
2017 cummins X15 efficiency series
Hi guys,
I am planning to get a brand new 2019 t680 with a 2017 cummins x15 450 efficiency series. Has anyone faced a serious issues with this engine yet. My concern is the fuel pump issue, is it fixed? and how reliable is the dpf with cummins compared to the detroit?
replyreply
RE: 2017 cummins X15 efficiency series
I have not heard anything, but I am sure there some bad ones out there. As far as the fuel pump, it has been taken out of the oil circuit, so that when it fails on you it does not take out the entire motor. You still need to service the fuel pump though, roughly every 400,000 miles, rebuild or replace.

The emission system, I was at the stealership talking to the salesman, no need to lie to me as I am not buying a truck, and he stated there have been few if any issues with the new system the he knew of. He said he has not had any in his shop, I confirmed this with a couple of the mechanics.

If it were me, I would take the truck directly to Mr Hagg and have him fix it before the damage starts. Screw the warranty.
replyreply
(04-22-2019 )Hgnisp Wrote:  ...
reliable is the dpf with cummins compared to the detroit?

Thats the wrong question you should be asking yourself.

The question a person should be asking theirrself is --- How easy is it for someone to keep after the emissions systems on this thing themselves compared to other brands?. -- That is the correct question someone should be asking.

If someone thinks for one damn minute that they are going to keep a newer, fuel efficient truck on the roads by running off to the stealershi$it network of OEM rip-you-off, wait forever warranty claims BS games and all the other 'put you out of buisenss' garbage network of incompetent idiots not fit to adjust a dog collar, then they have shot themselves in the foot!. It does not matter what brand of engine they have chosen. It is a mistake for even thinking one brand is better than another in this case.

If someone wants to make any kind of profit they can keep long term, BUYING A TRUCK THESE DAYS REQUIRES SOMEONE TO LEARN HOW TO DO THEIR OWN WORK TO IT AND KEEP AFTER THE EMISSIONS SYSTEMS THEMSELVES to some medium degree,.. otherwise -- go drive for a mega-fleet somewhere,.. a person would make more money.

ALL brands of engines have this problem -- ALL OF THEM! -- SO THE SOLUTION IS TO GET ON TOP OF THIS PROBLEM AND STAY THERE by being pro-active towards the upkeep of emissions on the equipment. This means getting their own diag. tools, getting familiar with the emissions systems and how they work, what keeps them happy, and how to keep them clean and functioning. - This is part of truck ownership these days, and for all those who don't build their business model around this -- they are only fooling themselves and pissing away all their profits on a broken support system, gambling blindly in the dark.

SO-- to answer such a question...

The single and ONLY ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER for owning a red ISX engine is ...

* The advantage of having free information directly from cummins website (quickserv.com) for making any kind of repair, as all the information on their engine and how to do it is right there at someone's fingertips.

* As they come from the factory, the ISX is just as much of a problematic engine as anything else out there. At best, all the newer engines are unreliable, emissions system complaining garbage, all of them. One of the only advantages of having an ISX is the fact that the software (plus the engineering/custom tuning software) has been leaked all over the internet so that a truck owner can at least tweak, mod, and mold the engine into something more useful with better reliability than other brands. With proper methods and proper adjustability, red engines are a big piece of clay, just waiting to be molded into something decent and profitable. Without this single advantage, they are only a problem child just like all the other brands of emissions engines out there, waiting to suck someone dry while waiting for warranty claims and other profit losses due to non-stop check engine lights. - Sorry, but I am not about to build my business model around any piece of equipment that would leave a man having nightmares, and a constant added stress of CEL lights, having to drive it on pins and needles all the damn time wondering when the next time I will have to cancel that load or get that service failure due to it shutting down and having to run off to the incompetent network of OE nitwits.

* The advantage of places like this forum. -- Without it, many hundreds of truck owners would never learn to dig themselves out of this dark hole of emissions issues and going out of buisness due to repeating failures bacause they learn to to work on their own equipment to make a decent profit after getting together and sharing the things that actualy work, while weeding out he horse-$hit.

* My youtube videos on how to do all kinds of things to ISX as an advantage as well. At least people can watch some videos and get an idea towards what makes these thing troublesome. Every brand and make of engine has these things against them,.. only question is how much of a support network and info is avail to the average joe for each of these other brands?.

=================

Summing this up...

A)> If someone is one of those people who think they can just check their oil and do nothing else to their truck outside of taking to speedco and getting the oil changed,...--- DON'T BUY A CUMMINS -- IN FACT-- DON'T BUY A TRUCK -- LEASE ONE AND GET RID OF IT EVERY 300K MILES BEFORE IT STARTS ACTING UP!!! -- Give the profits away as those $900+/week payments and be happy being broke all the time. That or go back to being a company driver, their pay at the end of the year would likely be higher.

or...

B)> If a person is willing to learn how to work on their own equipment, turn a wrench, and get dirty do a medium extent,... The ISX's only advantage is just that,.. it is there just waiting to be kept after by its owner due to availability of information and collection of people who have already figured this stuff out. There is no advantage to owning an ISX at all if someone is not willing to work on their own equipment + mold it themselves into something that can turn a decent dollar. None whatsoever. That IS its only advantage, and it usually requires a person to throw that garbage of a warranty in the trash can upon purchase.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Paccardude
Emissions... Figure $10,000 a pop. Enough said.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.