Another wanna be O/O thread
04-22-2019, (Subject: Another wanna be O/O thread ) 
Another wanna be O/O thread
New guy here looking to make the jump from company driver to O/O. I just turned 50 and have been a company driver for the last two years hauling crude oil in central Oklahoma. I have an opportunity to lease on to an outfit that has a lot of work in this area. The work is there for me and is in the same area I currently work.
Been looking at trucks and think I’ve found one that meets my needs. Low mileage, small sleeper cab truck with wet kit already installed. I’m trying to buy the best truck right out of the gate that won’t cost me a lot of down time. I’m very handy mechanically and will do the majority of the work on the truck myself as needed. I’ve read Rawze’s book and damn near every post.
The truck is a 2011 Peterbilt 365 with 36” sleeper, ISX motor, 8ll and 3.55 rear. It has a wet kit and 26,688 miles on it. I don’t know which motor but the serial number is 79425644. Still waiting to find out hours on motor. Any advice on the motor would be greatly appreciated.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201904/post_4301_1555952467_db50926f98c006bb27c2b828ecd8d131.jpeg
replyreply
RE: Another wanna be O/O thread
Check the ECM for true milage... An oil field truck takes a tremendous amount of abuse... Really go over this bugger and certify the real milage and hours...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
Well, I finally heard more from the salesman. Was a fracing truck. 5.80 rear gear and 8000+ hours. The truck itself looks very clean but I'm gonna have to pass on this one. Sorry to waste everyone's time, I thought this was the one .
replyreply
(04-22-2019 )RKW1969 Wrote:  Sorry to waste everyone's time, I thought this was the one .

You didn't waste anyone's time here, not even your own. At least you got the specs to realize this isn't the truck for you rather than shopping by monthly note alone. Keep looking and keep asking questions.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RyanC
Thanks Moose. I’m sticking around cause I’m almost 100% I’m gonna have an ISX motor. Buying the right truck and checking everything is a pain lol.
replyreply
It is a pain, but this minor headache could possible save you the migraine of a failed venture later. I'm watching these buy-here pay-here truck lots polishing these BJ Services turds touting pre-elog 50k mile trucks that have been ridden like cheap whores with 30k+ hours on the motors and they steady scooping them up for $40-50k-ish. Keep educating yourself, do the research, TAKE THE EMOTION out of it. You'll find one.
replyreply
04-23-2019, (Subject: Another wanna be O/O thread ) 
@RKW1969 We are in similar boat I've been company driving for a few years in oilfield in Canada looking to make the leap into buying a truck. What do you haul clean oil, water, sand? What kinda specs are you looking at? What made you wanna go with a 367?

I'm looking at a 2013 kw t800 46 rears with 3.91.
replyreply
8000k hours Is about like 500000 miles. Probably pretty sooted up from pto work. The reality is your probably gonna have to inframe one around that many hours or miles anyway. I wouldn’t rule it out if the price was good. A road truck is gonna be needing a new head by then that truck maybe not. Light load on pto. You could demandate it, and egr tune up it, and run it for a while and see if it’s carbon packed. For the right price I would gamble. Every truck is a gamble anymore. Only sure thing is it’s gonna need a inframe way sooner than you would think these days with the liners the way they are and all the soot. A truck that high idling should have about as good of liners as you could get in a used truck. You if it’s not carbon packed it might go long enough to pay for its own inframe. It’s hard to find a truck that is spect right. Just my 2 cents.
replyreply
Hes I’m strictly hauling crude. The only reason I was looking at 367 was the small sleepers. All the work I’ll be doing is all around the town I live in so I’ll be home every night. Just thought the small sleeper was better for me. I probably wouldn’t even run 100 miles most days around here. These trucks already have the wet kits also. That’s about 8k around here to install.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.