Fan Clutch vs. Hammer
05-18-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
Fan Clutch vs. Hammer
Yesterday I drove the whole day with my Fan Clutch stuck on. When I finally got back to the yard, I located the solenoid and disconnected the air line running to the Fan Clutch. I turned on the key and determined that I had air to the Clutch and my problem was the Fan Clutch not disengaging when air was supplied to it.
I called the local Stealer and got a price of $923.00. I asked 3 times for the Part # and did not get an answer! The next morning I called a Dealer in another state and got a Part # and a $707 price. Still not happy with the cost, I found an after market web site called http://www.kit-masters.com. Found what I needed and a list of local distributors. I started calling them and got the price down to $375 and a core charge.
In order to pull the Fan Clutch from the pulley, you have to be able to dissengage the the clutch and rotate it to line up the bolts. As my Fan Clutch would not dissengage, I went through the Trouble Shooting Guide and called Support at http://www.kit-masters.com. I found that I needed to put 120 lbs. of shop air to the Fan Clutch and then tap it with a hammer until it dissengages. I hooked up the shop air and tapped on the back side of the Fan Clutch for about a minute and it dissengaged.
I then connected the air line back on to the solenoid and started up the truck. As soon as the truck built up 90 lbs of air the Fan Clutch dissengaged, as it should. I cycled the Fan Clutch using the Air Conditioner and it worked.
Fan Clutch fixed with Hammer!

Afterthought: The next time I pressure wash my engine, I'm not gonna let it sit for 3 days befor I start it up.

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: zero4
05-19-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
RE: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer
(05-18-2016 )1096 Wrote:  Yesterday I drove the whole day with my Fan Clutch stuck on. When I finally got back to the yard, I located the solenoid and disconnected the air line running to the Fan Clutch. I turned on the key and determined that I had air to the Clutch and my problem was the Fan Clutch not disengaging when air was supplied to it.
I called the local Stealer and got a price of $923.00. I asked 3 times for the Part # and did not get an answer! The next morning I called a Dealer in another state and got a Part # and a $707 price. Still not happy with the cost, I found an after market web site called http://www.kit-masters.com. Found what I needed and a list of local distributors. I started calling them and got the price down to $375 and a core charge.
In order to pull the Fan Clutch from the pulley, you have to be able to dissengage the the clutch and rotate it to line up the bolts. As my Fan Clutch would not dissengage, I went through the Trouble Shooting Guide and called Support at http://www.kit-masters.com. I found that I needed to put 120 lbs. of shop air to the Fan Clutch and then tap it with a hammer until it dissengages. I hooked up the shop air and tapped on the back side of the Fan Clutch for about a minute and it dissengaged.
I then connected the air line back on to the solenoid and started up the truck. As soon as the truck built up 90 lbs of air the Fan Clutch dissengaged, as it should. I cycled the Fan Clutch using the Air Conditioner and it worked.
Fan Clutch fixed with Hammer!

Afterthought: The next time I pressure wash my engine, I'm not gonna let it sit for 3 days befor I start it up.

I have had to use a hammer to free mine up just about every time it sits for several days. I was going to suggest trying that first but you got it sorted. Thanks for sharing the info.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-20-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
Kit Masters has a YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/KitMastersI...=0&sort=dd

Everything you ever wanted to know about Fan Clutchs and more!
The Hammer Method does not need shop air. Run your engine until you have full air pressure and then shut it off.
Turn key on to activate solenoid, and then start tapping with Hammer.

I hope this prevents others from Over Thinking the stuck fan clutch like I did. I wrote it off to a Learning Experiance though.

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: zero4
05-21-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
I have a question on this topic. with the key off the fan hub has no play, as it should be. Now when the key is on, engine off, air is supplied to the clutch, releasing it. Now if I grab the fan blade I can rock it ever so slightly. Is this normal or should I replace it ASAP?
replyreply
(05-21-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  I have a question on this topic. with the key off the fan hub has no play, as it should be. Now when the key is on, engine off, air is supplied to the clutch, releasing it. Now if I grab the fan blade I can rock it ever so slightly. Is this normal or should I replace it ASAP?

there should be a bit of side-play in it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks Rawze...one of those things I check every 3 months or so....spins freely with no noise so I figured it was just the normal endplay of the shaft.
replyreply
05-22-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
this depends on what hub you have. Borg warners have alot of play when released and this is normal - hortons have 0 play, if it has any the bearing is going in the clutch.
replyreply
05-23-2016, (Subject: Fan Clutch vs. Hammer ) 
It's a Borg Warner 1090-09500-01
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.