Fuel cards
05-20-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
RE: Fuel cards
I'll tell you my thoughts good and bad.

The Bad:

To ascertain the NASTC FLEETONE fuel card I had to go to Nashville TN and take a class. The class is always on Friday if I remember correctly and very quickly all the seats for the class become "reserved".

The class highlighted many problems for owner operators and Carriers in the trucking business. NASTC will try to sell you services to meet those challenges in the trucking business and lay claims that their services and products will save you money.

It felt similar to stories I heard of people getting free tickets to Disney World if they suffer through a real estate offer for property for sell in Florida... before finally getting the free tickets. That's not a perfect description but that's the best I can describe for you to provide an idea of how it relates. I suffered through hearing about lots of stuff all day long that I don't need at the moment, just to fill out an app for a fuel card.

If your an owner operator your going to offered their service to get you started on your Own Authority.

The class was $250, an additional day of class for Drug and Alcohol testing training is offered the next day too. If you tell the representatives you want the fuel card they will forward your $250 for class over to fund your membership costs.

They charge everybody $50 to activate your fuel card account.

It costs me additional money the first year of owning the fuel card because I had to pay hotel, food and trip expenses to go to Nashville to take the class.

The fuel card only provides discounts at certain diesel truck stops. The Flying J and Pilot and Loves truck stops are not in the network for discounts.

If you buy diesel fuel at any Truckstop that is not in the network, there is no discount and you are charged $2.00 for that transaction.

If you go to a T/A or Petro to buy tires and ask for a discount because your a NASTC member your discount is no different than an OOIDA discount or any other bullshit discount (very little).

About once or twice a month I receive emails declaring some truck stop should be deleted from my handbook; to go purchase diesel fuel from [because the business stopped giving discounts or went out of business].

Here's The Good:

I haven't seen the regular FLEETONE fuel card or any other fuel card yet that beat the NASTC FLEETONE fuel card in discounts.

I am not charged any monthly fees.

I can do all the same stuff with my fuel card as other fuel card providers do. Such as: Buy additional products, cash advance and etc.

The fuel card also works like a regular ATM debit/credit card at ATMs. Online settings to cap the maximum amounts for various services on the card are easy to work with.

The fuel card works for the T/As, Petros, Speedway truck stops, Wilco, some Hess, and many privately owned small family truck stops.

You have several days before you payback the fuel charge each time you charge a fuel purchase, I think it's 10 days. I never go more than 3-4 days and pay the transaction back.

I have received good customer service from NASTC and FLEETONE when calling them on the phone and asking questions. Never been disappointed yet.

When completing the class (that I hated) I was surprised that I ended up gaining some free information on how to lower my Trucking company insurance yearly costs. Find better brokers to deal with that have better ratings.

I don't want to go back through that class ever again, but if I had to I would do it. My total weekly savings on fuel is different each week, because I am in different states and cities getting fuel. But I save anywhere from $50 - $250, per truck per week. Just depends if I only haul 2 loads or more per truck.

The bigger discounts are less often, but no matter what the discount is it is direct savings at the time of purchase and not a rewards crap that you pay full price up front and then at the end of the month get the fuel rewards "totaled up" and added to your card for using later.

The moment you finish pumping the fuel you will not see the discount. That total on the store receipt will list an un-discounted price. So the first time you pump fuel and sign the receipt you'll probably be mad as hell that there is no discount printed on the receipt. But like I said, the next day you'll get the real invoice emailed to you showing the actual price to pay and you'll see your discount.

I think for people who have just started a brand new trucking business and not having a good business credit score rating yet; they can still get a fuel card for you, but you have to load it first with funds. Been a long time since I heard the information so a new person in the trucking business that is interested in that... needs to ask a NASTC rep about information on that.

If you sign up for the class you can drive your truck and trailer to the class, and park on the road next to the NASTC facility. You can save some money by sleeping in your truck. They offer free lunch and free snacks and beverages during class both days.

The location was a little community that's in the Nashville metro area, but easy to drive to and get in and get out if you drive your truck and trailer there. I'm trying to remember the name of the town but I'm tired right now and it's not happening, sorry fellas.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Fuel cards - Pd6cas2 - 05-19-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - overshot - 05-19-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - jorden486 - 05-19-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - biscuits and gravy - 05-20-2016
RE: Fuel cards - micksrule - 05-24-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - DrivingZiggy - 05-25-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - iRonin - 05-26-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - DrivingZiggy - 05-29-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - iRonin - 05-31-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - Mrkentee - 05-27-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - Billdozer2 - 05-27-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - micksrule - 06-03-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - iRonin - 06-08-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - Kenworth2012 - 06-12-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - iRonin - 06-13-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - Kenworth2012 - 06-13-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - Jarhead79 - 11-14-2016,
RE: Fuel cards - rgreen - 11-15-2016,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.