CM 871 won’t regen
05-06-2019, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
RE: CM 871 won’t regen
In case I find these DPF and DOC are bad I need some suggestions on quality replacements.

These are original to the truck with 10,000 hours on it. They have been baked 2-3 times and washed once.

TIO
replyreply
            They are off and here are the pictures. I’m concerned about the crack in the ceramic on the outlet of the DPF. Also it appears there is metal (I didn’t put a magnet on it) on the face of the well plugged DOC!
replyreply
Ok the stuff on the face is exhaust joint gasket material. It didn’t have soot on them and they are not steel.

TIO
replyreply
DOC looks like it is face plugged by oil intrusion and excess heavy soot.

Other cans look washed out pretty badly.

Rear of DPF is cracked in several places because heavy amount of moisture got in it at some point.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: theironoracle
After seeing the broken one and having a discussion with the customer they decided to buy new cans...all will be cleaned and reassembled tomorrow. Any other thoughts on proper procedures after it’s sll back together?

Another EGR tune up? It was done to this truck less than 1000 hrs ago.

I performed an injector cylinder cut out test as you recommend all seemed good.

I performed a turbo actuator calibration test and that passed multiple times.

I want to get this right so I don’t see this truck for another 12 months.

TIO
replyreply
if the truck is throwing oil into the exhaust itll probably be back sooner than you think.
replyreply
I don’t know how to prove except perhaps putting a boroscope the intake and exhaust manifolds?

This could be left over from the last turbo failure? Could it actually be from a leaky doser injector? Or does that look different?

TIO
replyreply
05-07-2019, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
One way i guess idle the truck for a bit then pull turbo loose or exhaust manifold and boro or look at exhaust valves for wetness. leaking doser would probably have a carbo trail goin down the exhaust pipe.
replyreply
05-07-2019, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
(05-06-2019 )theironoracle Wrote:  I don’t know how to prove except perhaps putting a boroscope the intake and exhaust manifolds?

This could be left over from the last turbo failure?

could be worn or leaky valve guide seals. May also want to check to see if the intake manifold is getting wet from the turbo. If someone idles a lot, the turbo's opn the ISX tend to slobber a bit.

At the very least, check the IMAP sensor to see if it is getting clogged up again. This will give you an idea of how much soot the engine is making since the last time that sensor was replaced.

(05-06-2019 )theironoracle Wrote:  ...
Could it actually be from a leaky doser injector?

If you suspect the Doser leaky, it is easy to check. Just pull the doser pipe away from the back of the turbo a bit and crank the engine up. - If the Doser is leaky, the tip will start getting wet after you crank the truck up. While your at it, take a tiny wire brush to it and clean it gently to ensure the tip it is not impacted with soot.

===============

Since it is an ongoing problem, you might want to also pressurize the entire engine and check it for intake, CAC, and EGR piping leaks. Any leaks contribute to excess soot issues. also maybe check the overhead cam(s) for excess wear or them being chewed up from valves getting too tight. Do an overhead valve adjustment if it has not been done since the engine was last built. The head and its valve seats on the ISX will settle after 50,000 miles or so and the valves can easily get out of adjustment.

You say it was re-manned a year ago,.. where did the head come from? - Was it a brand new cummins head (or at least a CERT re-man directly from cummins)? - If not,.. then the odds are strongly against the truck owner that the engine is not going to last more than about 250k miles before the head needs replacing again any ways.

Last is the fact the if the EGR valve gets sticky, it will not throw a fault in the ECM. It should be considered as well if there is excess soot getting into the oil or intake. - Has anyone done an oil sample and sent to a lab to see if the soot levels in the oil are too high?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.