CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump
05-22-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
RE: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump
100% agree with changing fuel pump/components every 400k (4 years).
It's cheaper than a new engine. My old pump had over 600k on it and luckily I had one that wasn't as prone to failures as the first revisions with ceramic plungers. They have updated many of the parts to handle the higher pressures since 2018. This year they are supposed to last around 600k before failure (stated from dealer), and will not damage engine if they fail due to the type of metal being used. Do I believe it? No, but it's good they're trying something different as even the steel plungers caused failures.
replyreply
05-23-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
The parts for replacement are what less then 1000. The whole assembly is like over 3k
So probably better to keep it updated way before the cam in that gear pump wears and makes the whole pump bad.

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
05-25-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
Are all these parts listed in a kit or sold separately? With the issues I’m having maybe that could be my fix for my2350 I called a lot of places to say . Talking with cummins today and they said that the individual sales of the parts were unavailable that I’d have to buy a new pump all the way except the head . Thoughts please
replyreply
(05-25-2019 )Ironsled Wrote:  Are all these parts listed in a kit or sold separately? With the issues I’m having maybe that could be my fix for my2350 I called a lot of places to say . Talking with cummins today and they said that the individual sales of the parts were unavailable that I’d have to buy a new pump all the way except the head . Thoughts please

When I was down at Rawze's house in framing my motor, Mr Hagg and Unilever had heard that Cummins was going to eliminate the kits, no more rebuilding. I would keep calling around the country, there are probably a few kits out there, you just have to work to find them. And if you are already having fuel pump issues, it is probably too late. The rebuild is a preventative measure, not a fix for after the pump fails. When they fail, kiss the entire motor goodbye in most cases.

What issues are you having? If you are getting the fuel pressure code right now, DO NOT start the motor. Have it towed to a shop, or if you are up to it, start digging into your motor in search of shrapnel, start at your oil and fuel filters, cut them open. If nothing there, dropping the pan would be the next step, check the oil pump for metal shavings. Or, you could pull the pump to inspect... But, I am not familiar enough with tearing down the pump without having a kit on hand to put it back together once it is off. If you get my drift?
replyreply
Parts list from a Cummins warranty wo Dec. 18 2018 on a 2014 2350 290323 miles. Steel plungers. Based on postings on this site I inspected the pump. Plungers were fine, roller tappets and cam were trashed. Did not even reassemble. Towed truck to Cummins
1-4307049PX Body, Fuel Pump $870.08---2-4359134 Tappet, Pump $93.74@---1-4357177 Valve, Pressure Releif $19.61---1-4988280 Gasket, Hydraulic Pump $3.30---2-3963988 Washer, Sealing $4.17@---2-3963991 Washer, Sealing $5.47@. Plus oil and a filter and an Actuator 4307411NX $242.53 that I had to buy because it broke in disassembly, don't ask and no comments please. The bill referenced 2 TSB's. 140019 for the general repair and 150033 for a "Fuel Pump Service Short Block Kit" which I am guessing includes the cam since there is no cam on the bill. HTH
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
05-26-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
(05-25-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  ... on a 2014 2350 290323 miles...

Dammit bro, that's scary as hell....seriously , that's no miles to justify that failure. I'm at 270k on my 2350 so Im just going to get all the stuff together and rebuild that damn catastrophe of a pump...SMH
replyreply
Scares me and I'm fearless. There were NO symptoms or codes. Because of this sight I was curious about the failure,so on a slow day I pulled the head off the pump. When I saw the steel plungers I thought OK I'm good. Fortunately one of my guys was a bit more curious and pulled the tappers out of the housing. That's when we saw it. I have not been able to get a straight answer or a ESN break out of Cummins as to when steel tappets started being used. What I did find out is there is some kind of coating on the new cam and tappets. The best I can find out this engine was built with steel plungers. No fuel system related warranty repairs until this. Not an engineer but it looks like there must be one hell of a load between the tappet roller and the cam to put fuel pressure where it it needs to be. Was the move from the three piston to the two piston the result of "cost reduction engineering" ? Also makes me wonder the ceramic plungers were really the original problem. Or did they fail when the tappets/cam came apart. I AM guessing that would put some uneven load on the plungers. Ceramic, being what it is probably wouldn't handle that stress.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(05-26-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  Scares me and I'm fearless. There were NO symptoms or codes. Because of this sight I was curious about the failure,so on a slow day I pulled the head off the pump. When I saw the steel plungers I thought OK I'm good. Fortunately one of my guys was a bit more curious and pulled the tappers out of the housing. That's when we saw it. I have not been able to get a straight answer or a ESN break out of Cummins as to when steel tappets started being used. What I did find out is there is some kind of coating on the new cam and tappets. The best I can find out this engine was built with steel plungers. No fuel system related warranty repairs until this. Not an engineer but it looks like there must be one hell of a load between the tappet roller and the cam to put fuel pressure where it it needs to be. Was the move from the three piston to the two piston the result of "cost reduction engineering" ? Also makes me wonder the ceramic plungers were really the original problem. Or did they fail when the tappets/cam came apart. I AM guessing that would put some uneven load on the plungers. Ceramic, being what it is probably wouldn't handle that stress.

You are probably onto something. I've seen engines have stalling problems after fuel pump replacement (from three to two piston). I'm having problems with mine right now. It stalls randomly at idle. Still haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. No visible leaks, pump appears to build rail pressure without problems under load, but randomly at idle the fuel rail pressure will drop and just shut off. It all started with changing to new style pump, everything was fine previously. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen...
replyreply
the reason the 3 piston was on there is because cummins was making a ISX16 and needed the fuel. The 3 piston pump is off some of their bigger common rail engines. Then cummins decided to not do the ISX16 and went only with the 15, They pulled a plunger/barrel and tappet assemble out of the pump and pushed em out as ISX15. Ever wonder why there are 152mm Blocks? They machined them for the ISX16 and decided against it and just made different liners to not ruin all those blocks.

3 piston pumps fail much much more than the 2 piston. The updated Tappets have DLC (diamond coating) on the roller and tappet. That is the update.

Uni
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Waterloo , snailexpress , Wiseman , Rawze , zyNoT , HotRod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.