CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump
06-03-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
RE: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump
(05-26-2019 )zyNoT Wrote:  
(05-26-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  Scares me and I'm fearless. There were NO symptoms or codes. Because of this sight I was curious about the failure,so on a slow day I pulled the head off the pump. When I saw the steel plungers I thought OK I'm good. Fortunately one of my guys was a bit more curious and pulled the tappers out of the housing. That's when we saw it. I have not been able to get a straight answer or a ESN break out of Cummins as to when steel tappets started being used. What I did find out is there is some kind of coating on the new cam and tappets. The best I can find out this engine was built with steel plungers. No fuel system related warranty repairs until this. Not an engineer but it looks like there must be one hell of a load between the tappet roller and the cam to put fuel pressure where it it needs to be. Was the move from the three piston to the two piston the result of "cost reduction engineering" ? Also makes me wonder the ceramic plungers were really the original problem. Or did they fail when the tappets/cam came apart. I AM guessing that would put some uneven load on the plungers. Ceramic, being what it is probably wouldn't handle that stress.

You are probably onto something. I've seen engines have stalling problems after fuel pump replacement (from three to two piston). I'm having problems with mine right now. It stalls randomly at idle. Still haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. No visible leaks, pump appears to build rail pressure without problems under load, but randomly at idle the fuel rail pressure will drop and just shut off. It all started with changing to new style pump, everything was fine previously. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen...

If you have a fuel water separator filter. Bypass the filter & see if it still shuts down. I was having this problem. A new fuel water separator filter housing fixed the problem.
replyreply
06-05-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
Alright, so ordering all items for the rebuild now....anyone have a reputable Cummins dealer they like to deal with? The prices I'm getting are all over the place for the parts required for this FP rebuild...
replyreply
06-05-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
Try Bridgeway in New Hudson MI, 1 (248) 573-1900

Or Rocky Mountain Cummins out of Denver, they have shops all over the west, Rocky Mountain region. +1 (303) 287-0201

I have used both, can’t vouch for pricing, but they have both done me better than my regular International dealer. Good luck!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
06-06-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
Seems like the barrel/plunger kit (#5406130) is apparently made from some sort of rare, precious metal lmao, since the only way any dealership has the means to get it is by ordering directly from the manufacturer...thus not being able to give an accurate delivery time. To sum that up - backordered - I think that's the term they were looking for?

- Now, I have no problem getting the Headgasket (2872513), Pump Tappets (4359134) and the necessary banjo washers. They seem to be readily available.

- Are the Barrel/Plunger assemblies necessary on a build date of 2/16? I've read on here about replacing only the Pump Tappets with the updated DLC version. I'd like to replace everything seeing as I'll be in there anyway, but if the kits are backordered, the jury is still out at this point...What do you guys think?

The other possibility would be to piece the kit together off of the Quickserve breakdown...
replyreply
just call mr. haag - he has stock on these i believe.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
Thumbs Up RE: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump
(06-06-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  just call mr. haag - he has stock on these i believe.

10-4....just sent over the question...
replyreply
06-10-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
I just went through all these issues and got it all fixed up and I have one through my 2350 top to bottom and learned a ton . If I can be of any help let me know I have a lot of pictures of failed pump parts and can relate to . I have spoke with a lot of people and found out that the current gear pump is more so having the gear spinning on the shaft shearing the shaft and gear and little string like sharp metal and coming off causing it to fail . The lift pump will build the pressure but as soon as the motor turns over and the system sucks the rail dry it will die like it’s out of fuel before it can empty the filters completely. Another issue that cummins engineers and going to have to think about . Anyways I’m open book if need info or reference pictures.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , redbeard , Rawze , Waterloo , SquareOne
06-15-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
(06-10-2019 )Ironsled Wrote:  I just went through all these issues and got it all fixed up and I have one through my 2350 top to bottom and learned a ton . If I can be of any help let me know I have a lot of pictures of failed pump parts and can relate to . I have spoke with a lot of people and found out that the current gear pump is more so having the gear spinning on the shaft shearing the shaft and gear and little string like sharp metal and coming off causing it to fail . The lift pump will build the pressure but as soon as the motor turns over and the system sucks the rail dry it will die like it’s out of fuel before it can empty the filters completely. Another issue that cummins engineers and going to have to think about . Anyways I’m open book if need info or reference pictures.
I have always wondered if I understand that correctly. Does the 2350 has 3 fuel pumps ? The lift pump, the gear pump, and the high pressure pump ?

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
06-15-2019, (Subject: CM2250/CM2350 Fuel Pump ) 
(06-15-2019 )rrod Wrote:  
(06-10-2019 )Ironsled Wrote:  I just went through all these issues and got it all fixed up and I have one through my 2350 top to bottom and learned a ton . If I can be of any help let me know I have a lot of pictures of failed pump parts and can relate to . I have spoke with a lot of people and found out that the current gear pump is more so having the gear spinning on the shaft shearing the shaft and gear and little string like sharp metal and coming off causing it to fail . The lift pump will build the pressure but as soon as the motor turns over and the system sucks the rail dry it will die like it’s out of fuel before it can empty the filters completely. Another issue that cummins engineers and going to have to think about . Anyways I’m open book if need info or reference pictures.
I have always wondered if I understand that correctly. Does the 2350 has 3 fuel pumps ? The lift pump, the gear pump, and the high pressure pump ?

Yes you understand it correctly. The lift pump is electrical separate unit. Gear pump and HP pump combined in one unit are mechanically driven.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , rrod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.