ISX CM870 De-mandate help
05-22-2019, (Subject: ISX CM870 De-mandate help ) 
ISX CM870 De-mandate help
Hi there. New to the forum. I have a 379 with a CM870 ISX in it. Originally the truck had a 500hp CPL 8518 in it. Several years ago I had the engine de-mandated using only software and the non-venturi intake. The software and intake came from a shop in southern MN. Since then we have installed a reman engine running with factory equipment. This engine is a 565hp CPL 8518.

We had to replace the oil coolers so we had the EGR cooler off the engine. One of the connections to the block has been leaking and I'd rather just not put it back on. At this point I'm not sure whether to do a "Stage 1" or "Stage 2" de-mandate. I still have the {name removed} and tune but the shop in southern MN will not even acknowledge there existence. Is there anyone here that could take a look at the files on this {name removed} I can trust and maybe adjust them if I need? I'm not sure if it will work properly by taking the tune that was once on a 500hp engine and simply installing it on a 565? If I remember right there were two tunes for options. A 5% economy tune and a 12% HP/Economy tune.

Thanks for your thoughts.
replyreply
RE: ISX CM870 De-mandate help
On here there are only 2 tune options as well. Right and wrong.

Most people on here will steer you away from tuning boxes. As far as the 870 goes Unilevers and Momaburt are the 2 i would trust to get it right.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-22-2019 )Cheddar Wrote:  Hi there. New to the forum. I have a 379 with a CM870 ISX in it. Originally the truck had a 500hp CPL 8518 in it. Several years ago I had the engine de-mandated using only software and the non-venturi intake. The software and intake came from a shop in southern MN. Since then we have installed a reman engine running with factory equipment. This engine is a 565hp CPL 8518.

We had to replace the oil coolers so we had the EGR cooler off the engine. One of the connections to the block has been leaking and I'd rather just not put it back on. At this point I'm not sure whether to do a "Stage 1" or "Stage 2" de-mandate. I still have the {name removed} and tune but the shop in southern MN will not even acknowledge there existence. Is there anyone here that could take a look at the files on this {name removed} I can trust and maybe adjust them if I need? I'm not sure if it will work properly by taking the tune that was once on a 500hp engine and simply installing it on a 565? If I remember right there were two tunes for options. A 5% economy tune and a 12% HP/Economy tune.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You made it to Rawze.com -- This place is where bulls#it and bad engine life-span sucking, over-priced, over-hyped, faith-healing junk-tackery, ego-boosting, false half-arssed garbage-bin tuning, boxes, etc. and bulls#it engine-hacking crap / stupid redneck-pickup, ego-stroking truck mods are actually shunned away and frowned upon very quickly.

Sorry, but My site is about actually making your equipment work in ways that DO NOT shorten its lifespan by 80% because of some ignorant fools-gold.

As Nilao suggested, It being a CM870, I would suggest you get with Mommaburt or Unilevers and educate yourself in how an engine should be properly cared for and should run without all the ego-boosting hackery crap you have been brain-washed with before you got here. Most if not 99% of everything you mentioned is not worth putting onto a lawn-mower nonetheless a commercial engine.

As soon as you mentioned those garbage words "Stasge 1,2,X" -- complete horse-s$it, I know there will be about 200 people on this forum shake their heads in sadness at yet another brainwashed victim of those kinds of ways of backward thinking.

Maybe you should also read through this kind of stuff while your waiting for a reply ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Techmech
I'm not really looking for more power or hacks, simply getting rid of something unnecessary. When it was only 500 I wanted more power as we typically run 100k+. When I say stage 1 or 2 I simply am referring to how whether the valve is left on or not. The holes in the block are already plugged.
replyreply
(05-22-2019 )Cheddar Wrote:  I'm not really looking for more power or hacks, simply getting rid of something unnecessary. When it was only 500 I wanted more power as we typically run 100k+. When I say stage 1 or 2 I simply am referring to how whether the valve is left on or not. The holes in the block are already plugged.

Most people refer to "stage-X " garbage as removing the VG turbo and other hack-job stone-age mods so thanks for clarifying.

As far as the EGR cooler/valve removal,.. the 870 from what I understand, can be done this way without ill effects. Anything newer though, (like an 871 or newer) and it is a totally different ball-game. On those engine, they absolutely have to have the coolant flow towards the back of the engine block for proper cooling and the EGR cooler plays a big part in that.

Personally though, I would take whatever steps necessary to keep the thing on simply because it sends red flags to anyone giving your truck an inspection. When things are missing or bypassed in ways that are obvious, it is never a good thing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-22-2019 )Cheddar Wrote:  I'm not really looking for more power or hacks, simply getting rid of something unnecessary. When it was only 500 I wanted more power as we typically run 100k+. When I say stage 1 or 2 I simply am referring to how whether the valve is left on or not. The holes in the block are already plugged.

You are in the right place... I'm no CM-870 expert, but it is a damn good motor if done right, and yes I have owned one. Like Rawze said, Mamaburt, Unilever, or Gearhead, Price's Diesel, you can overnight the ECM to the shop, of course call first. http://www.pricesdieselrepair.com

Your motor, if it is missing the EGR cooler, OEM turbo or other such nonsense, best to get that back in working order as Rawze said, for good reason. Good luck.
replyreply
05-23-2019, (Subject: ISX CM870 De-mandate help ) 
This truck runs regional and is at no risk of inspection. Really no need to haul it around. If it was leaking externally at 150k miles I suspect it will again. I will try to make contact with the members suggested.
replyreply
05-23-2019, (Subject: ISX CM870 De-mandate help ) 
Yes, the egr and cooler can be removed completely. You loss a little bit of coolant volume because you don't have the cooler anymore. But it doesn't seem to affect anything noticable. You will need to get the appropriate freeze plugs to fit the holes once the cooler is removed. Cummins sells them. You may have to peen around the edges slightly to get them to seal properly. Be sure to silicone the ends of the plugs shut on any electrical connections not being used. You don't want them to corrode and cause electrical problems.

And for the love of god, get ahold of Unilevers or MommaBurt and get that thing tuned properly to whatever HP setting you desire. You won't regret it.
replyreply
09-20-2019, (Subject: ISX CM870 De-mandate help ) 
I need one of them to look at my 870 to make sure it is ok as well.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.