Remolded Tires "NOT Retread"
05-26-2019, (Subject: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread" ) 
Remolded Tires "NOT Retread"
Has anyone got experience useing a remolded tire? its different then a retread as its not a glued on road gater but tire is stripped down to cords almost then new rubber is wrapped around the tire in several layers then put into a heated tread pattern press with an innertube inflated inside the tire to hold shape and its heated to 160c i believe was the temp.

in a sense its almost the same exact process as when the tire is made originaly.

i see retreads for sale everywhere so i dont even know if this process let alone tires are available widely but im curious.

video of the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8SoPUAtxM

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
RE: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread"
I’ve ran them before. They are option. If they do fail it’s usually side wall. Tread stays on. I wouldn’t run them if i was heavy all the time and in the middle of nowhere. A road call is awful expensive if one blows and it’s to far to limp.
replyreply
I would be leery of the sidewalls like Magard stated. Tires have a shelf life, even though this process looks much better than a recap, the tires are still old. And myself, I have never had any luck with recaps, and my friends that have installed them found fuel milage tanked and road noise was through the roof. One service call and you are upside down if one of these blows, especially on a LoneStar, they can and will do a lot of damage. Just my .02
replyreply
I was looking into them but not as a unknown casing purchase figoured i might buy new tires when its time then have the old remolded so i know the casing age and run 1 or 2 remolds then dispose for new again. i would never run a retread ive seen to many gators on the road and blew to many as a company driver.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I thought of doing that myself, as we have a local tire shop chain that owns a licensed Michelin recap facility here in Grand Rapids MI. But, my experiences and others has kept me from going there. What I think I am going to do, is to start buying a tire or two at a time, now that the truck is hopefully sorted out. Only been 5 years... Hopefully I will get some service out of her.

I like to pay cash for this stuff, but sometimes cash is tight, so I like to use this finance service, Affirm. I bought a set of lift axle tires from Simple Tire, the internet outfit. I was tight on cash, Christmas time, everything was slow, tires were getting questionable, very questionable, time to replace.

I found a set of US Made Daytons, for $450 delivered. TA wanted $1,600 for the two Bridgestones they had in stock, yes, $800 EACH. I paid off the Dayton tires in two months, interest was like $30, so I got out for under $500.

And yes, I could have put it on a credit card, but I really like this Affirm, very easy to track and pay off balance when I want too. Makes it easier at tax time too, because I have a running tally of purchases and interest paid, just don't go too long before paying off, or the convience is out the window.
replyreply
(05-26-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I was looking into them but not as a unknown casing purchase figoured i might buy new tires when its time then have the old remolded so i know the casing age and run 1 or 2 remolds then dispose for new again. i would never run a retread ive seen to many gators on the road and blew to many as a company driver.
good luck get your casings back. That’s not gonna happen. Who in this world is that organized. You drive to fast for retreads to be a option. There a local 55 mph option. Not a interstate heavy haul ass guy option. Just saying.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-26-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  And yes, I could have put it on a credit card, but I really like this Affirm, very easy to track and pay off balance when I want too. Makes it easier at tax time too, because I have a running tally of purchases and interest paid, just don't go too long before paying off, or the convience is out the window.

My American Express card has an option called "Plan It" where you can spread a purchase out over 9,12,etc months for a fixed monthly plan fee (which comes out to around a 10% apr. I never drag them out for full term, just pay higher than the adjusted monthly balance and it pays the oldest one off first and even refunds you the month's prorated plan fee. It's real nice for getting an extra month or two to pay for something unexpected, plus you get the cash back on the purchase. - Just thought I'd mention it, since I've seen you talk about Affirm a few times.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
When the tread on my tires get down to about 25% I sell them and buy a new set. I buy online and do my own tire changing.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(05-26-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  When the tread on my tires get down to about 25% I sell them and buy a new set. I buy online and do my own tire changing.

The lower the treads get on someone's drive tires, the higher the fuel mileage gains. - Replacing them before absolutely having to only costs fuel mileage losses. - I wait until mine are at 5/32 tread depth. I would go all the way to 3/32 depth, but I don't like em slipping in the rain and snow.

this post jumps out at me as "maybe saving a few bucks on the re-sale, only to waste loose thousands of $$$ in fuel mileage" by changing tires before they are absolutely due?. A person always needs to consider that this sort of tactic would possibly cost far more in fuel mileage loss than they are saving by re-selling the tires early. Even the most efficient low-rr tires will have a difference of 0.7 - 0.8 mpg difference from old to new, perhaps even more if loaded heavy all the time.

just something to consider anyways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Volvo8873

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.