Remolded Tires "NOT Retread"
05-26-2019, (Subject: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread" ) 
RE: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread"
One time I ran trailer tires on my drives. Actually a pretty good set up. Awesome fuel mileage pretty good in snow with all that sipping. Mud maybe no so good. But good enough.
replyreply
05-26-2019, (Subject: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread" ) 
Thanks for all the opinions i was just curious as i had watched the how its made episode and thought they might be a ok option vs new and a much better option then a retread as the molding process is just like how they make a new tire but supposidly at a discount of 40% or so as they dont need to remake the bead and casing.

i can easily afford new tires but if an option existed to save a decent amount of $$ at only a small negative of quality vs new i wanted to view it as an option.

my truck isnt due any time soon but the rear axle of spread on trailer is about 50% the tread depth of the forward axle. im not sure i could ever bring myself to put anything other than virgin on my drives but my trailer i might at the right cost/quality differences.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
05-27-2019, (Subject: Remolded Tires "NOT Retread" ) 
(05-26-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-26-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  When the tread on my tires get down to about 25% I sell them and buy a new set. I buy online and do my own tire changing.

The lower the treads get on someone's drive tires, the higher the fuel mileage gains. - Replacing them before absolutely having to only costs fuel mileage losses. - I wait until mine are at 5/32 tread depth. I would go all the way to 3/32 depth, but I don't like em slipping in the rain and snow.

this post jumps out at me as "maybe saving a few bucks on the re-sale, only to waste loose thousands of $$$ in fuel mileage" by changing tires before they are absolutely due?. A person always needs to consider that this sort of tactic would possibly cost far more in fuel mileage loss than they are saving by re-selling the tires early. Even the most efficient low-rr tires will have a difference of 0.7 - 0.8 mpg difference from old to new, perhaps even more if loaded heavy all the time.

just something to consider anyways.
Agree with you 100%. I should have said why I do that. It does not make any sense to anyone why I said that or really answers any questions.

It is because I also do quite a few job sites and also some hopper bottom in spring and fall. I been in instances where having more tread have helped me and my ass. The first job site I ever did I needed to be pulled out because of it being down in a valley in woods. Luckily the guy had a tractor to help pull me out. This is because my first set of tires that came on my first truck had pretty much no tread left and with locking the differential obviously did not do much. It was a good lesson learning for me. Also that wonderful winter shi#t here in WI/MN/MI... In the picture I ran through this on May 18th on my way up too Duluth from Eau Claire,WI.

When all said and done it just works better for me to sell them with some tread on them. That way I do not have to figure out on what to do with ones that have no tread on them. With all the farming and excavating that need tires around me I have never had any trouble getting them with some money for my next set.

The set of tires on my 2nd truck where getting close to being wore out out of service (set that were on the truck when I bought it) and I changed them for new ones last August and you are right I noticed my MPG drop down quite a bit. I would say about 6.5, 6.8 to 6.0, 5.8 MPG give or take.

I would wear my tires right out if I did OTR all the time which might be for me in the future here. But that could change anytime..

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201905/post_3100_1558974420_9a27f8bbde84883ff9c5a2fb7332308f.jpeg

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.